• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
dreamslayerx

OpenGL How do you read in Digital Elevation Model (dem) data from usgs.gov

This topic is 2633 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi guys. I am trying to replicate some terrain and display it with OpenGL I am getting the data form http://seamless.usgs.gov/ then I go to Tools to Access Data then select the seamless viewer. The next part is a little strange to me. I know how to select my area, and I want the elevation data. Alot of sites says that the data suppose to be outputed as ascii format, but I cann't read the files with word pad or notepad. Better yet its so many files I don't know which to even get the data from. Since I am new to this. I am trying to get the vector data for the elevation and have it in ascii format so that I can know what I am looking at to read the data in. Does anyone know how to do this? The national map seamless server address is http://seamless.usgs.gov/website/seamless/viewer.htm. The goal is to get the elevation data into a vector format so that I can read it into opengl to generate my terrain. Let me know if you guys know of some better approaches as well but I need to work with the digital elevation model (dem) data. Thanks for the help.

Advertisement
Is this a link to a direct download for the converter, or do I have to download GRIDASCII to be able to convert the data? If so where can GRIDASCII be found, I googled it but didn't get a download link, so I'm assuming its within another program.

It's a feature of ArcView, a component of ArcGIS. You have a few options (in rough order of practicality) that I can see:

• see if the 'developer tools' listed on the Esri website contain anything useful
  • search for an alternative parser, knowing the name of the format; the 'GDAL driver' links at the bottom of the Wikipedia article look helpful
  • buttonhole a geo-oriented friend at an academic institution to convert it for you
  • write your own parser using the information on that webpage
  • license ArcGIS at significant cost (thousands of dollars)

Alternatively, the USGS NED FAQ suggests that it may be available in other formats from other sources. (Maybe try alternative - lower - resolutions if they'll suffice?) Sorry I can't help more. I've only used this format via ArcGIS, and USGS seems to have changed their format at least twice since I last used them.

[quote name='dreamslayerx' timestamp='1317148895' post='4866523']Is this a link to a direct download for the converter, or do I have to download GRIDASCII to be able to convert the data? If so where can GRIDASCII be found, I googled it but didn't get a download link, so I'm assuming its within another program.

It's a feature of ArcView, a component of ArcGIS. You have a few options (in rough order of practicality) that I can see:
  • see if the 'developer tools' listed on the Esri website contain anything useful
  • search for an alternative parser, knowing the name of the format; the 'GDAL driver' links at the bottom of the Wikipedia article look helpful
  • buttonhole a geo-oriented friend at an academic institution to convert it for you
  • write your own parser using the information on that webpage
  • license ArcGIS at significant cost (thousands of dollars)

Alternatively, the USGS NED FAQ suggests that it may be available in other formats from other sources. (Maybe try alternative - lower - resolutions if they'll suffice?) Sorry I can't help more. I've only used this format via ArcGIS, and USGS seems to have changed their format at least twice since I last used them.
    [/quote]

I think that I am going to go the route of create .obj terrains from blender, but is there anyway that dem data can be converted into .obj format with a some form of downloadable converter? Do you know of any?

I don't know of any off the top of my head, sorry. That's not to say that they don't exist, though.

Thanks for the help. I think the obj format is a good one since I can easily map the textures from a UV map of the terrain.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!