• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Bake

Terrain rendering using DirectX

This topic is 2639 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello!

I'm getting a stack overflow runtime error when my vertex/index buffers exceed a certain size. What I'm trying to do is to render a huge terrain generated using noise functions.

How can I avoid that problem? I'm using native C++ and DirectX 11.

Here's the render function:

void Render()
{
float color[4] = {0.2f, 0.3f, 0.4f, 1.0f};
g_pImmediateContext->ClearRenderTargetView(g_pRenderTargetView, color);

ConstantBuffer cb;
cb.mWorld = XMMatrixTranspose(g_World);
cb.mView = XMMatrixTranspose(g_View);
cb.mProjection = XMMatrixTranspose(g_Projection);
g_pImmediateContext->UpdateSubresource(g_pConstantBuffer, 0, NULL, &cb, 0, 0);

g_pImmediateContext->VSSetShader(g_pVertexShader, NULL, 0);
g_pImmediateContext->VSSetConstantBuffers(0, 1, &g_pConstantBuffer);
g_pImmediateContext->PSSetShader(g_pPixelShader, NULL, 0);
g_pImmediateContext->DrawIndexed(WIDTH * HEIGHT * 6, 0, 0);

g_pSwapChain->Present(0, 0);
}

A size of 128 * 128 (128 * 128 * 2 triangles) is working fine but 200 * 200 (and above of course) causes a stack overflow error.

Thanks in advance!

Advertisement
Vertex buffer:

SimpleVertex vertices[(WIDTH + 1) * (HEIGHT + 1)];
// Here all the vertices are added
D3D11_BUFFER_DESC bd;
ZeroMemory(&bd, sizeof(bd));
bd.Usage = D3D11_USAGE_DEFAULT;
bd.ByteWidth = sizeof(SimpleVertex) * (WIDTH + 1) * (HEIGHT + 1);
bd.BindFlags = D3D11_BIND_VERTEX_BUFFER;
bd.CPUAccessFlags = 0;

Index buffer:

WORD indices[WIDTH * HEIGHT * 6];
// ...
bd.Usage = D3D11_USAGE_DEFAULT;
bd.ByteWidth = sizeof(WORD) * WIDTH * HEIGHT * 6;
bd.BindFlags = D3D11_BIND_INDEX_BUFFER;
bd.CPUAccessFlags = 0;

After reading this thread I suspect that the index buffer is the problem because
the max. index with WORD indices is 65535[/quote].

Exactly, you have pinned down the origin of your problem yourself, a WORD is a 16 bit integer, so your unsigned indice can't go over 65535.

If you use a DWORD instead (double word), you have up to 32 bits to store your indices.

I doubt it. Even with the big grid he gets only 201*201 = 40401 vertices. Also, if that was really the matter, I rather expect a wrong rendering or a DX API call failure than a stack overflow.

I suspect the error coming from this

This big array will be created on the stack. Does it exceed your currently set stack size (or the default size which is I think 1 Mb ) ?
Rather create the temp array on the heap with new (don't forget to delete[] afterwards). Edit: Same applies to indices, of course.

It would help to know when the stack overflow is thrown.

You are right unbird. It's working now, thanks for your help!

I should probably learn some more C++ before messing around with DirectX.

I doubt it. Even with the big grid he gets only 201*201 = 40401 vertices. Also, if that was really the matter, I rather expect a wrong rendering or a DX API call failure than a stack overflow.

I suspect the error coming from this

This big array will be created on the stack. Does it exceed your currently set stack size (or the default size which is I think 1 Mb ) ?
Rather create the temp array on the heap with new (don't forget to delete[] afterwards). Edit: Same applies to indices, of course.

It would help to know when the stack overflow is thrown.

16 bit indices should also have been a problem - he is using 6 indices for each quad. This means that it would be 200*200*6 = 240,000. Although I am sure that the stack overflow is caused by the problem you described...

16 bit indices should also have been a problem - he is using 6 indices for each quad. This means that it would be 200*200*6 = 240,000. Although I am sure that the stack overflow is caused by the problem you described...[/quote]

but the maximum index value would still be 40k-something, since hes only got 40k vertices, and therefore fit into an unsigned short. if he wanted to use WORD for indexing into the index array he would have a problem, but that is only done by the GPU itself...
anyway, if your vertexarray has less than 2^16 entries (65k), WORD is a suitable index size, no matter how many indices are in the index buffer.
sorry for being a smartass :)

cheers,
tasche

16 bit indices should also have been a problem - he is using 6 indices for each quad. This means that it would be 200*200*6 = 240,000. Although I am sure that the stack overflow is caused by the problem you described...

but the maximum index value would still be 40k-something, since hes only got 40k vertices, and therefore fit into an unsigned short. if he wanted to use WORD for indexing into the index array he would have a problem, but that is only done by the GPU itself...
anyway, if your vertexarray has less than 2^16 entries (65k), WORD is a suitable index size, no matter how many indices are in the index buffer.
sorry for being a smartass :)

cheers,
tasche
[/quote]That is right :) I missed the fine point there...

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!