• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Gl_Terminator

How many lines of code (LOC) define a C# app as big ?

This topic is 2633 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Advertisement
Ignoring Lines of Code as a horrible metric -

Big relative to what? 20-50k is big for a personal project, but not big at all for something I deal with at work.

Any answer is correct answer to your pool. It depends on type of program to say is it big or not.
If program needs to solve quadratic equation, then 500 lines are big. But if program needs to do difficult AI or simulation, then even 50000 can be to small number for it.

As defined by the programmer.

Not that the question makes much sense; what programmer defines how 'big' a program is by LOC count? That tells you absolutely...nothing, except how many lines of code your program currently contains.

If I could do what you did in 50,000 LOC with 30,000 would yours be 'bigger'? Never mind that 'bigger' here is undefined; are we talking .exe size? Complexity? Scope? Something else entirely?

LOC count is a nice way to find out how large a codebase is fairly quickly; it's not an absolute measurement of size (or whatever it is you wanted to measure).

It ain't big if you can measure it in less than 7 digits.

By digits, do you mean fingers? Therefore by your definition, 8 is big. :)

As to the question at hand, I am actually kinda curious what my primary project is at. Im guessing in the 80-90k range, of course a lot of that was 3rd party code. Is there a tool or feature in Visual Studio 2010 for easily doing LoC totals? Especially across a solution, as my project consists of some like 40 projects.

Also, do we include test cases in LOC totals? ;)

A slightly silly question; lines of code has been exposed as a meaningless metric for quite some time now. You could write "hello world" in 20,000 lines if you were so inclined (and determined/insane enough).

@Seraph - use cloc to determine lines of code (and nature of lines).

Interesting, thanks.

Language files blank comment code
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
C# 475 13644 21124 80089
XML 8 183 5 28908
MSBuild scripts 52 0 357 6077
XSD 14 284 1 2144
ASP.Net 18 20 0 554
CSS 1 0 0 207
XSLT 1 28 2 202
HTML 1 14 0 70
XAML 2 1 0 26
SUM: 572 14174 21489 118277

Apparently my main project hit 118,277 lines of code, plus I suppose the webserver that isn't included.

To be honest though, those results mean pretty much exactly nothing.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!