• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
chosenkill6

Global Variable of struct

This topic is 2632 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I am making a program that has a struct at the beginning of it, but i always have to declare an instance of it within a function. How can i make an instance of a struct global so that it can be accessed by any function?

Advertisement
What language? I'm assuming C, in which case can't you just do
structname instancename;
Outside of a function?
How is your struct declared?

What language? I'm assuming C, in which case can't you just do
structname instancename;
Outside of a function?
How is your struct declared?

Its in C++
My program goes like this:
#include <SDL.h>

SDL_Surface *screen = NULL;

struct visual_object
{
float x,y,v_x,v_y;
SDL_Surface *image;
};

visual_object ball;

int main(int argc, char *args[])
{
SDL_Init(SDL_INIT_VIDEO);
screen = SDL_SetVideoMode(800,600,32,SDL_SWSURFACE);
ball.image = IMG_Load("ball.png");
SDL_BlitSurface(ball.image, NULL, screen, NULL);
SDL_Delay(5000);
return 0;
}

I think that it should be loading my image and displaying it for 5 sec but all i get is an empty screen. Compiles fine though...

You forgot to call SDL_Flip

Oh my... I should have seen that. Oh well that's why i posted here so that some experienced programmers can help me out. Haha thanks alot man, im still learning SDL
Lol now i feel like a noob :P

In addition, if you ever need to to use the same global variable in *other* C++ files, you would add this line to the other files, or to a header included by the other files:

extern visual_object ball;

Globals are frowned upon. They aren't too bad for small projects, but they don't scale well. In this case, you can pass the visual_object to any function that needs it as a (const and or reference) parameter.

Yeah, I try not to use global variables, but in this case I can't think a workaround
I could pass the struct as an argument but passing it as a formal argument won't change the original value, and I need that to happen
How can I do that?

You can pass a reference or a pointer to the object. This way you can change the original object.

Tht sounds like it would work
I'll just make a pointer then :P
Makes sense
I have a question for all the game programmers tht have answered all my noob questions
How do u know what to use? I know what a pointer is, how come I didn't think to use one? Where can I get a tut that will help me to think of all these workarounds tht you guys are thinking of? I always make things too complex...

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!