• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
alexanderb

how to create a controller interface using SDL

This topic is 2636 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

any tips on how to write an interface for controllers? and by controllers I mean gamepads and keyboard.

I want everything to be as abstracted as possible. it should output movement/whatever (it's a fighting-ish game) the same way, regardless if it comes from a gamepad, a keyboard or an AI opponent. the actions generated should be independent of the input source (treating AI as an input source as well), and it should be small enough for a thin server being able to send it to clients via UDP (for network play).

ideas? things I could read..? (preferably on-line)

the game is 2D in OpenGL (for graphics), SDL (for menus, input/output, sound) and C++ (for everything else).

Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!