What program do you use for game art (sprites, models, textures etc.,)?

Started by
12 comments, last by SiCrane 12 years, 6 months ago
I just thought this would be a fun topic to see how many people use the same software. :)

Recently I've been making a lot of 2D art for a small platformer I'm developing (more of that can be found in my journal either by the weekend or sometime next week), and I've been using GIMP to produce all of it. I made these tileable land sprites last night in about two hours (forgot how many pixels I was working with and as a result it wasn't seamless the first try):

landSprite.jpg

It was also my first attempt ever at creating sprites pixel-by-pixel, and it was well worth it, I think! I learned a lot. :)

For 3D stuff I've always used Blender, and its built-in UV Mapping tools for texturing and GIMP again for making those textures.

What programs do you use for your game art?

My website! yodamanjer.com
My development blog!

Follow me on Twitter! [twitter]jwg1991[/twitter]

Advertisement
I use GIMP for all 2D art including sprites. There is a plugin for GIMP that makes each layer a frame for a sprite so it works great for making them. I use Milkshape for 3D modeling and have used 3DMax in the past.

Remember to mark someones post as helpful if you found it so.

Journal:

http://www.gamedev.net/blog/908-xxchesters-blog/

Portfolio:

http://www.BrandonMcCulligh.ca

Company:

www.gwnp.ca

Blender/Gimp/Cgtextures.com dpadam450.deviantart.com

NBA2K, Madden, Maneater, Killing Floor, Sims http://www.pawlowskipinball.com/pinballeternal

I use Photo Shop for almost everything 2d (Concept art, Pixel art, textures, normal maps, etc.), although I use Gimp when I don't have access.

For 3d I usually use Google sketchup for mockups and quick blocking out of environments. I'll use Zbrush to do most other things, but I've also used Max and Maya (I prefer Max, but it depends on what's available).
3DS Max for 3D
Photoshop for more "realistic" graphics and textures, and also for 2D sprites and tiles
GraphicsGale also for 2D sprites and tiles. It's free and it also does animations on separate layers.
Cosmigo's ProMotion -- Its basically a modern equivalent to DeluxePaint. Its great for low-color work. I never did much like things like photoshop or illustrator for game sprites, but that's mostly because I lean towards low-color/low-resolution asthetics.

throw table_exception("(? ???)? ? ???");

3DS Max for 3D
Photoshop for more "realistic" graphics and textures, and also for 2D sprites and tiles
GraphicsGale also for 2D sprites and tiles. It's free and it also does animations on separate layers.

GraphicsGale looks great! Downloading now to try it out. :)

My website! yodamanjer.com
My development blog!

Follow me on Twitter! [twitter]jwg1991[/twitter]

I use illustrator for vector based art, and photoshop for pretty much everything else. A lot of times I'll start something in illustrator and finish it in photoshop.
I use InkScape and GIMP for 2D, Wings and Milkshape for 3D.

Red.
Ghostly yours,Red.
Inkscape, Gimp, Photoshop.

Most recent project, isometric goldfish swim animation. Fish done in Inkscape, animation and background in gimp.
goldfish.gif

I want to help design a "sandpark" MMO. Optional interactive story with quests and deeply characterized NPCs, plus sandbox elements like player-craftable housing and lots of other crafting. If you are starting a design of this type, please PM me. I also love pet-breeding games.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement