Sign in to follow this  
UNREAL WARRl0R

Radiosity Revised

I know you guys think I gave an extremely stupid radiosity tutorial
I know you guys are starting to hate my guts
And I know you guys thought the example at the end of the video was total BS (Sorry, I couldn't think of anything better in 5min)

So I revised ALL of my radiosity implementation, came up with new theories, and figured out a way to really got some FPS

I based my new implementation of off instant radiosity

[font="Arial"][size="2"]With my new Radiosity implementation, it is entirely done in screen-space, removing the need to re-render the scene from the perspective of the light. [/size][/font]
[font="Arial"][size="2"]Taking the point of the light/VPL, then drawing a random line (Not literally, but you get the idea) from point A in a direction decided by the deferred shader. ie: A spot light's direction, and a point within a decent fall-off region[/size][/font]

[font="Arial"][size="2"] After the line is found, the depth stencil is checked for interception of the line (ie: a wall) and if the depth texel > the depth of the line, the bounce was successful. If not, it is recalculated. [/size][/font]
[font="Arial"][size="2"]At this point if a bounce was successful, a new VPL is calculated and is set as an omni. The form-factor can then be calculated from the specifications of that light [/size][/font]

[font="Arial"][size="2"]Then the VPL will be added to a new instance, ready for the next deferred shading pass. The nice part about this, its global illumination that only requires 2 rendering passes. And if you want to get fancy, you can do this in the same pass as deferred shading, ie, global illumination as a post processing effect[/size][/font]

[font="Arial"][size="2"]I really hope this gets a better response then last time[/size][/font]

[font="Arial"][size="2"]My implementation is done entirely in the compute shader, allowing for some VERY large FPS with GroupSharedMemory [/size][/font]

[font="Arial"][size="2"]Update 1: If you want results, just google instant radiosity. Its basically the same effect just done at a Screen Space scale[/size][/font]
[font="Arial"] [/font]
[font="Arial"][size="2"]Update 2: Any feedback? If I get enough good feedback I will provide sections of the source code[/size][/font] Edited by UNREAL WARRl0R

No one hates you, it's just that people would much rather have a demo to play with, or some code to go through, or a description of your technique (like you have done this time). These are all much more enjoyable and motivating than watching someone doing programming video tutorials (especially when they weren't planned out). Don't get discouraged because some tough guys on the internet gave you negative reputation ;)