Starting Game Programming (DirectX)

Started by
7 comments, last by rumpfi88 12 years, 6 months ago
Some background:
Hi, you guys. I'm pretty good with C++, I guess. I started programming at fourteen, I'm now sixteen. I started with the basic VB6, then probably a little less than half a semester of school, I did C++. I did many programming languages, including: VB6/.NET, Java, PHP, C#, and C++. I found that my favorite of those are C++, and C# for RAD. When I was little, I always wanted to make my own games, or be a game programmer when I grew up. When I started programming, I actually didn't intend to make games at first, but for the last two weeks, or so, I have had a burning desire to make games. I tried OpenGL, and didn't get far at all, but then tried DirectX, which I like much more. I first tried some YouTube tutorials, which were a little weird, so I Googled some tutorials, which I found. They were very good. It was basically like having TheNewBoston explain it to you, mostly because of its easy diction, but it's only the bare basics.

What I need help with:
I basically, just need to know a good tutorial, or book, basically anything that I can use to learn DirectX. I have tried books, that are either mathematical for me, or just don't explain stuff well. The book "Beginning DirectX 11 Game Programming" (Allen Sherrod / Wendy Jones), Is the book that is the best so far. It's pretty good, a little disorganized, but pretty good. I learn best from examples. That is probably the main thing that I look for in books. I also have a real real hard time with comprehension. When I get down to the end of the page, I sometimes just am like "what did I just read?". It's not just because I don't understand the programming, because if it's read out loud, I understand it fine. Sorry I got a little off topic, lol.

Basically, what I need help with:
I need your opinion on the best programming book for DirectX. Preferably 10, or 11. Something that is easy for beginners. I work best with examples.
Advertisement

Some background:
Hi, you guys. I'm pretty good with C++, I guess. I started programming at fourteen, I'm now sixteen. I started with the basic VB6, then probably a little less than half a semester of school, I did C++. I did many programming languages, including: VB6/.NET, Java, PHP, C#, and C++. I found that my favorite of those are C++, and C# for RAD. When I was little, I always wanted to make my own games, or be a game programmer when I grew up. When I started programming, I actually didn't intend to make games at first, but for the last two weeks, or so, I have had a burning desire to make games. I tried OpenGL, and didn't get far at all, but then tried DirectX, which I like much more. I first tried some YouTube tutorials, which were a little weird, so I Googled some tutorials, which I found. They were very good. It was basically like having TheNewBoston explain it to you, mostly because of its easy diction, but it's only the bare basics.

What I need help with:
I basically, just need to know a good tutorial, or book, basically anything that I can use to learn DirectX. I have tried books, that are either mathematical for me, or just don't explain stuff well. The book "Beginning DirectX 11 Game Programming" (Allen Sherrod / Wendy Jones), Is the book that is the best so far. It's pretty good, a little disorganized, but pretty good. I learn best from examples. That is probably the main thing that I look for in books. I also have a real real hard time with comprehension. When I get down to the end of the page, I sometimes just am like "what did I just read?". It's not just because I don't understand the programming, because if it's read out loud, I understand it fine. Sorry I got a little off topic, lol.

I need your opinion on the best programming book for DirectX. Preferably 10, or 11. Something that is easy for beginners. I work best with examples.

Well as far as dx11 books, I can't recommend any first hand. I've thus far not moved on to greener pastures, and am still playing with dx9 technology. However, I will highly recommend Jason Zink's book( whose title escapes me, atm....) I've not read it, but have good impressions on his hieroglyph project which is based on dx11, and which the book uses to explain dx11 features AFAIK. I can relate to your admission that you are an aural learner, and how it can be hard to move from your preferred modality, but persevere my friend, because 90 percent of what I've found valuable so far is articles, not video or audiobook. My only real piece of advice is to keep at it.

[quote name='((__int64)~((__int64)0))' timestamp='1317423839' post='4867768']
Some background:

What I need help with:

Well as far as dx11 books, I can't recommend any first hand. I've thus far not moved on to greener pastures, and am still playing with dx9 technology. However, I will highly recommend Jason Zink's book( whose title escapes me, atm....) I've not read it, but have good impressions on his hieroglyph project which is based on dx11, and which the book uses to explain dx11 features AFAIK. I can relate to your admission that you are an aural learner, and how it can be hard to move from your preferred modality, but persevere my friend, because 90 percent of what I've found valuable so far is articles, not video or audiobook. My only real piece of advice is to keep at it.
[/quote]

Thank you sir. I'm going to add this book to my e-book collection. If I ever finish reading it, I might update this thread with my status / satisfaction.

And BTW, what is the difference between DirectX 9, and 10? Is there really that much of a difference? I always just thought they added more functions, and such. What do you recommend for DirectX 9 / 10?

[quote name='Burnt_Fyr' timestamp='1317424546' post='4867772']
[quote name='((__int64)~((__int64)0))' timestamp='1317423839' post='4867768']
Some background:

What I need help with:

[/quote]

Thank you sir. I'm going to add this book to my e-book collection. If I ever finish reading it, I might update this thread with my status / satisfaction.

And BTW, what is the difference between DirectX 9, and 10? Is there really that much of a difference? I always just thought they added more functions, and such. What do you recommend for DirectX 9 / 10?
[/quote]

I think there's a huge difference. After 9 they got rid of the fixed function pipeline, and if your learning 9 you will be wasting your time IMO. 10 and 11 have a lot more in common.
Avoid D3D9 books, the pipeline and many techniques has changed.. The are only two D11 books so far, the one you are reading (that honestly I found very boring and disorganized), and this which I'm finding very well written http://www.amazon.co.../dp/1568817207/ (note that it has a completely different organization).. And here you can find some tutorials http://www.rastertek.com/tutindex.html .. And of course about D3D 11.1 there aren't any books or good documentation, just a draft on msdn library..

Otherwise you have too read some good D3D10 books keeping in mind that there are some few changes from d3d 10.x to d3d11 http://msdn.microsof...0(v=VS.85).aspx A good d3d10 book could be this one: http://www.d3dcoder.net/d3d10.htm
If you are going to learn DX9 or, to be specific, D3D9, then you absolutely must learn it from the shader approach. Don't waste your time on the FFP; it's a dead technology that carries some interesting curioso for the interested historian.

Going from a shader based DX9 workflow to DX11 is much less painful than going from a FFP DX9 to DX11. Also, that book is an awesome resource to have and I heartily recommend it - though whether it suits you or not is something you must decide for yourself.
"I will personally burn everything I've made to the fucking ground if I think I can catch them in the flames."
~ Gabe
"I don't mean to rush you but you are keeping two civilizations waiting!"
~ Cavil, BSG.
"If it's really important to you that other people follow your True Brace Style, it just indicates you're inexperienced. Go find something productive to do."
[size=2]~ Bregma

"Well, you're not alone.

There's a club for people like that. It's called Everybody and we meet at the bar[size=2].

"

[size=2]~

[size=1]Antheus

Avoid D3D9 books, the pipeline and many techniques has changed.. The are only two D11 books so far, the one you are reading (that honestly I found very boring and disorganized), and this which I'm finding very well written http://www.amazon.co.../dp/1568817207/ (note that it has a completely different organization).. And here you can find some tutorials http://www.rastertek.com/tutindex.html .. And of course about D3D 11.1 there aren't any books or good documentation, just a draft on msdn library..

Otherwise you have too read some good D3D10 books keeping in mind that there are some few changes from d3d 10.x to d3d11 http://msdn.microsof...0(v=VS.85).aspx A good d3d10 book could be this one: http://www.d3dcoder.net/d3d10.htm

Thanks, for all of these resources. I have heard of that DX11 book, and I have done lesson one, and two, of that tutorial. The author of that book has a gamedev account, and I was the first one to comment on his profile. Once I get some money, I'll probably buy his book, and I'll start doing more lessons on that site. Thank you :)
I am reading the same book ("Beginning DirectX 11 Game Programming" (Allen Sherrod / Wendy Jones)). I find that I read a page and then ask myself what the heck did I just read.

The author is assuming readers already know everything he does about graphics, c++ windows programming, system internals, etc

It helps me to go slowly. And stop and look up every single word I don't know. Once you read past one word you don't understand you become completely lost.

My Projects: - www.repulse.com

The Problem is, that DirectX uses "windows.h" at the same time, and it already will confuse you with the basic informations of creating a window.

I guess you are familiar with at least C++. For learning how to create simple computer graphics I recommend to start with OpenGL (for drawing a line segment you only need 35 lines of coding), the book Computer Graphics with OpenGL by Donald Hearn, M. Pauline Baker, Warren R. Carithers is a very good beginning to get the basics (you needn't buy it if you don't want to).

If you know how to create polygons, set a camera, rotate/scale/translate coordinates, calculate splines etc. you can start learning DirectX. I always compare programming languages and libraries when I'm learning a new one. But at one point the authors are completly right: You can't create a good looking game if you know nothing how to make it good looking.

Good luck, you can do it

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement