• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

DX11 Alpha Transparency DX11

This topic is 2334 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello everybody, it has been a while since I have asked a question on these forums. Currently I am loading in images that I wish to make the alpha channel transparent when drawing my scene. Here is how i create my blenddesc

D3D11_BLEND_DESC blendDesc;
ZeroMemory( &blendDesc, sizeof( blendDesc ) );
blendDesc.RenderTarget[0].BlendEnable = true;
blendDesc.RenderTarget[0].SrcBlend = D3D11_BLEND_SRC_ALPHA;
blendDesc.RenderTarget[0].DestBlend = D3D11_BLEND_INV_SRC_ALPHA;
blendDesc.RenderTarget[0].SrcBlendAlpha = D3D11_BLEND_SRC_ALPHA;
blendDesc.RenderTarget[0].DestBlendAlpha = D3D11_BLEND_INV_SRC_ALPHA;
blendDesc.RenderTarget[0].BlendOp = D3D11_BLEND_OP_ADD;
blendDesc.RenderTarget[0].BlendOpAlpha = D3D11_BLEND_OP_ADD;
blendDesc.RenderTarget[0].RenderTargetWriteMask = D3D11_COLOR_WRITE_ENABLE_ALL;

float blendFactor[4] = { 0.0f, 0.0f, 0.0f, 0.0f };

m_d3dDevice->CreateBlendState( &blendDesc, &alphaBlendState_ );
m_d3dContext->OMSetBlendState( alphaBlendState_, blendFactor, 0xFFFFFFFF );

screenvr.jpg

I cannot figure out why the green "grass" on the bottom is slightly transparent and the blue "clouds" at the top are not.

Here is my pixel shader

float4 PS_Main( PS_Input frag ) : SV_TARGET
{
return colorMap_.Sample( colorSampler_, frag.tex0 );
}

I have tried messing around with the blenddesc a LOT and if I make one change it messes up what im trying to get. Am I missing something completely obvious here?

Advertisement
So I figured out the blue is just too opaque to see through, if I change the color to something lighter it is all partially transparent.

EDIT:

Alright, so apparently irfanview when saving png images makes you select a color to make transparent. It makes that color plus everything else slightly transparent. I opened the images and edited them in photoshop and everything is looking good now.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement
  • Advertisement
  • Popular Tags

• Advertisement
  • Popular Now

• Similar Content

• By turanszkij
      Hi, right now building my engine in visual studio involves a shader compiling step to build hlsl 5.0 shaders. I have a separate project which only includes shader sources and the compiler is the visual studio integrated fxc compiler. I like this method because on any PC that has visual studio installed, I can just download the solution from GitHub and everything just builds without additional dependencies and using the latest version of the compiler. I also like it because the shaders are included in the solution explorer and easy to browse, and double-click to open (opening files can be really a pain in the ass in visual studio run in admin mode). Also it's nice that VS displays the build output/errors in the output window.
      But now I have the HLSL 6 compiler and want to build hlsl 6 shaders as well (and as I understand I can also compile vulkan compatible shaders with it later). Any idea how to do this nicely? I want only a single project containing shader sources, like it is now, but build them for different targets. I guess adding different building projects would be the way to go that reference the shader source project? But how would they differentiate from shader type of the sources (eg. pixel shader, compute shader,etc.)? Now the shader building project contains for each shader the shader type, how can other building projects reference that?
      Anyone with some experience in this?
    • By osiris_dev
      Hello!
      Have a problem with reflection shader for D3D11:
      1>engine_render_d3d11_system.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol IID_ID3D11ShaderReflection
      I tried to add this:
      #include <D3D11Shader.h>
      #include <D3Dcompiler.h>
      #include <D3DCompiler.inl>
      #pragma comment(lib, "D3DCompiler.lib")
      //#pragma comment(lib, "D3DCompiler_47.lib")
      As MSDN tells me but still no fortune. I think lot of people did that already, what I missing?
      I also find this article http://mattfife.com/?p=470
      where recommend to use SDK headers and libs before Wind SDK, but I am not using DirectX SDK for this project at all, should I?
    • By trojanfoe
      Hi there, this is my first post in what looks to be a very interesting forum.
      I am using DirectXTK to put together my 2D game engine but would like to use the GPU depth buffer in order to avoid sorting back-to-front on the CPU and I think I also want to use GPU instancing, so can I do that with SpriteBatch or am I looking at implementing my own sprite rendering?
      Thanks in advance!
    • By Matt_Aufderheide
      I am trying to draw a screen-aligned quad with arbitrary sizes.

currently I just send 4 vertices to the vertex shader like so:
      pDevCon->IASetPrimitiveTopology(D3D_PRIMITIVE_TOPOLOGY_TRIANGLESTRIP);
      pDevCon->Draw(4, 0);

then in the vertex shader I am doing this:
      float4 main(uint vI : SV_VERTEXID) : SV_POSITION
      {
       float2 texcoord = float2(vI & 1, vI >> 1);
      return float4((texcoord.x - 0.5f) * 2, -(texcoord.y - 0.5f) * 2, 0, 1);
      }
      that gets me a screen-sized quad...ok .. what's the correct way to get arbitrary sizes?...I have messed around with various numbers, but I think I don't quite get something in these relationships.
      one thing I tried is: 

float4 quad = float4((texcoord.x - (xpos/screensizex)) * (width/screensizex), -(texcoord.y - (ypos/screensizey)) * (height/screensizey), 0, 1);

.. where xpos and ypos is number of pixels from upper right corner..width and height is the desired size of the quad in pixels
      this gets me somewhat close, but not right.. a bit too small..so I'm missing something ..any ideas?

• By Stewie.G
      Hi,
      I've been trying to implement a gaussian blur recently, it would seem the best way to achieve this is by running a bur on one axis, then another blur on the other axis.
      I think I have successfully implemented the blur part per axis, but now I have to blend both calls with a proper BlendState, at least I think this is where my problem is.
      Here are my passes:
      RasterizerState DisableCulling { CullMode = BACK; }; BlendState AdditiveBlend { BlendEnable[0] = TRUE; BlendEnable[1] = TRUE; SrcBlend[0] = SRC_COLOR; BlendOp[0] = ADD; BlendOp[1] = ADD; SrcBlend[1] = SRC_COLOR; }; technique11 BlockTech { pass P0 { SetVertexShader(CompileShader(vs_5_0, VS())); SetGeometryShader(NULL); SetPixelShader(CompileShader(ps_5_0, PS_BlurV())); SetRasterizerState(DisableCulling); SetBlendState(AdditiveBlend, float4(0.0, 0.0, 0.0, 0.0), 0xffffffff); } pass P1 { SetVertexShader(CompileShader(vs_5_0, VS())); SetGeometryShader(NULL); SetPixelShader(CompileShader(ps_5_0, PS_BlurH())); SetRasterizerState(DisableCulling); } }  
      D3DX11_TECHNIQUE_DESC techDesc; mBlockEffect->mTech->GetDesc( &techDesc ); for(UINT p = 0; p < techDesc.Passes; ++p) { deviceContext->IASetVertexBuffers(0, 2, bufferPointers, stride, offset); deviceContext->IASetIndexBuffer(mIB, DXGI_FORMAT_R32_UINT, 0); mBlockEffect->mTech->GetPassByIndex(p)->Apply(0, deviceContext); deviceContext->DrawIndexedInstanced(36, mNumberOfActiveCubes, 0, 0, 0); } No blur

PS_BlurV

PS_BlurH

P0 + P1

As you can see, it does not work at all.
      I think the issue is in my BlendState, but I am not sure.
      I've seen many articles going with the render to texture approach, but I've also seen articles where both shaders were called in succession, and it worked just fine, I'd like to go with that second approach. Unfortunately, the code was in OpenGL where the syntax for running multiple passes is quite different (http://rastergrid.com/blog/2010/09/efficient-gaussian-blur-with-linear-sampling/). So I need some help doing the same in HLSL :-)

Thanks!
  • Advertisement