Sign in to follow this  
Darkbouncer4689

Crazy C++/VS Crash - Deleted my file!

Hey all,

So a few minutes ago I ran my C++/opengl project and get a runtime error about accessing an element outside of my array boundary. I change some code, recompile and it crashes my whole computer. When I restart my .cpp file won't open in visual studios, it defaults it to a generic text editor.

When I try opening it with notepad++ using c++ language encoder its nothing but nulls.

Wtf happened? Did I lose my whole file? I spent hours on it!!

I'm on 64bit windows 7. Is there any way to recover the file? I didn't even know it was possible to have a massive crash like this by compiling some C++ code. How is it possible that accessing bad memory can trash a file on my hard drive?

Anddd IE lag caused me to double post.... sorry.

Well that helped a little, thank you. Unfortunately the last 6 hours of my work wasn't backed up.

I use github for major project backups, but I didn't know that with each compile there is a chance of wiping a file on the hard drive..... that makes absolutely no sense to me. I thought using a repo was more about making sure you have a backup incase your hard drive explodes. Do people really sit there pushing their project to a repo every hour because C++ might randomly trash it?

P.S. The file isn't empty, it has 15KB of data in it. It's just all null when I open it in notepad++. Anyone know what this means?

If you run Scan Disk it should be able to find the file fragments and will store them in FOUND~000 (or so) directories in the root folder of the drive.
Open the files inside of that folder with a hex editor and you should be able to find your code sitting in one of them, along with some other file data from other files.
I recommend 010 Editor for hex editing.

L. Spiro