Selling XNA games

Started by
10 comments, last by DarklyDreaming 12 years, 5 months ago
Ok, i've been googling this quite a bit, and surprisingly i haven't found a crystal clear answer to the question. Well, what i have found is something along the lines of;

You may sell XNA games only for windows, and without using any of the networking 'stuff' provided with XNA.

So if i were to make a game using XNA and make it just for windows, and if i were to use networking id use something other than the built in xna networking stuff, i could sell my game no problems, no questions asked.
Is this right?
Advertisement
78 views and not one answer? Jeez, mods please delete this thread. Thx.

78 views and not one answer? Jeez, mods please delete this thread. Thx.

An interesting reaction you have there. I guess people who are also curious to know the answer shouldn't view this thread...

EDIT:
According to the link below, your assumption seems right. It looks like the only commercial restriction (for Windows and the use of XNA) is the use of Xbox/Windows Live. But I'm only going off that one forum thread.
http://forums.create.msdn.com/forums/p/6960/36760.aspx#36760
I don't think you'd want to use the XNA networking anyway, because it requires a Windows Live or Xbox Live ID for every player. A lot of Windows only XNA games use Lidgren Network Library:

http://code.google.com/p/lidgren-network-gen3/

I don't think you'd want to use the XNA networking anyway, because it requires a Windows Live or Xbox Live ID for every player. A lot of Windows only XNA games use Lidgren Network Library:

http://code.google.c...n-network-gen3/

Thanks EJH

An interesting reaction you have there.

[/quote]

Yes indeed, i had googled the living whats-it out of the subject and really the answer was not there, crystal clear.
I don't like all the rules and eula's and all that stuff that microsoft have, so another networking package would be perfect to keep their dirty lawyers out of it :)

I was just surprised that no-one had an answer, is this a 'tricky' subject? It's nice to find a clear path away from all those head-aches of modern 'head-living'. :)
Yes indeed, i had googled the living whats-it out of the subject and really the answer was not there, crystal clear.
I don't like all the rules and eula's and all that stuff that microsoft have, so another networking package would be perfect to keep their dirty lawyers out of it :)

I was just surprised that no-one had an answer, is this a 'tricky' subject? It's nice to find a clear path away from all those head-aches of modern 'head-living'. :)

Unfortunately, EULA's are intentionally not crystal clear. It's not exclusive to Microsoft, either. Go read some of the open source license agreements and then check out the thousands of confused forum posters, trying to find out if they can use the source for their project.

http://code.google.c...n-network-gen3/

I may be the weird one, but I found the .Net Sockets networking a lot easier to get started with than Lidgren.
Actually to sell XNA games you need to do a couple things.

Head over to apphub and signup, you also need to purchase a membership there, it costs 100$ a year.

Then you can sell yours games on XBL and such. Have a good one!

Actually to sell XNA games you need to do a couple things.

Head over to apphub and signup, you also need to purchase a membership there, it costs 100$ a year.

Then you can sell yours games on XBL and such. Have a good one!

He doesn't want to sell them on the xbox, he wants to sell them on Windows.

As has been previously said, the xbox networking stuff relies on there being an xbox to work. That's pretty much why you can't use it. It wont get compiled in.

Just roll your own or use something like Lidgren.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement