Building Up a Leveling System

Started by
1 comment, last by O-san 12 years, 6 months ago
I'm working on an action RPG, and we're to the point where we need a leveling system to test out our battle mechanics. This game can also have multiple difficulty modes with a Saved Game+ feature like Diablo II, so what I'd like to do is have base stats (for level 1), and then determine the character's growth from there. I'd like to have levels between 1 and 99 with pretty low stats between 0 and 255 similar to most of the Final Fantasy games. I really like how 60 attack can really make a character physically powerful for the tougher enemies throughout the first 2/3's of the game. So, what I'm thinking of doing is having a leveling system that doesn't level each stat each level. Maybe strength gets +1 every 3 levels while evasion gets +1 every two levels, etc.

On top of that, I'd REALLY like some balanced gameplay. I'd like to make the status ailments and buffs make a difference, and have difficult enemies which requires players to think about their actions. Any good articles online about creating a balanced game?

Anyone like this idea?
Advertisement
Games that have a leveling system and are balanced in the best of cases really only have levels in the sense that a number on the UI grows irrelevantly larger.

Because the enemies in each area scale in the same way the player characters do to maintain the same difficulty, the levels themselves are completely superfluous.

The balancing problem is that, despite this, the mechanic can be broken when scaled poorly, or when the player finds exploits. And the biggest game-play problem with it is that it tends to result in level grinding, either by design, or by way of the unintended the path of least resistance (which the player will follow, even if it's profoundly un-fun).

If you want balance (and fun game play), use a more easily controllable and simple system to deny or grant entry into a new area, or dominance over a new enemy, such as an elemental or item system.

Can't kill these enemies without a bow and arrows? Well, I guess you'll need to work towards getting that then.
Can't get get past this area without a hookshot? Well...

Players can still feel a sense of dominance over a once difficult task as the fruit of effort in games without "character levels".
I am going for the same idea in my action RPG, that is the need of having skills to progress in the game. I think this is a good way of pacing the game in a subtle way. If you are planning on having monsters respawning after they are killed I would consider capping the experience received for lower leveled monsters. For example, monsters 4-10 levels below you might not give you much or none at all experience. Maybe the experience received could exponentially degrade when the creature level is below your own.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement