Breathing Sprite with Gimp?

Started by
11 comments, last by AverageMidget 12 years, 6 months ago
I'm trying to make the breathing sprite with Gimp.(newbie)I found a steps here.

1) 1st stance sprite and thats it.

2) Take chest and pull it down 1 pixel.

3) Copy 1st 2 sprites for the next 2 sprites.

4) Cut at knees on the 3rd sprite and bring down 1 pixel, same for arms.

5) Simply pull head down 1 pixel and your done.

But still don't know how you suppose to do it.What tools do I use?

Advertisement
Are you trying to make a sprite of a human standing and breathing? What size in pixels do you want to make it? How many and what colors?

As in tools, do you mean Gimp?

Gimp is kind of like a free version of Adobe Photoshop.

Copy/paste from Wikipedia: "GIMP (GNU Image Manipulation Program) is a free software raster graphics editor. It is primarily employed as an image retouching and editing tool[sup][3][/sup] and is freely available in versions tailored for most popular operating systems including Microsoft Windows, Apple Mac OS X, and GNU/Linux."

You can download it for free here: http://www.gimp.org/
A 30-year-old interested in learning to program by making an old-school, simple, text-only or 2D dungeon fantasy video game.

• As of 9/28/2011, currently attempting to learn the basics of Python 2.7.
  • As of 10/14/11, Dabbling in C#.
  • As of 10/24/11, decisively surpassed my small knowledge of Python in C#.
No, I AM using Gimp.I just don't know what tools to make my standing sprite breathing
You will use gimp to slightly change your standing sprite to give the breathing animation.

But still don't know how you suppose to do it.What tools do I use?

Rectangle select (?R)? Cut (ctrl+X) and paste (ctrl+V)? Pencil (N)? Color picker (O)? Swap fg/bg (X)? Add new layer (ctrl+shift+N)?

Not exactly sure what you're looking for. There isn't a "make sprite breathe!!``11" filter in Gimp...
The instruction said

"2) Take chest and pull it down 1 pixel."

I don't get that part.

There isn't a "make sprite breathe!!``11" filter in Gimp...

Sure there is, it's under distortions, second from the bottom of the list. Most people miss that one. Rookie mistake :wink:

Zrifepsych,

In all seriousness; you can probably ignore steps like that, that's confusing.

Start with the basics and work up to this; once you know how to edit sprites, and how to animate (anything), you should be able to observe examples of breathing and replicate the motions.

What's your background in work with gimp? Have you drawn or animated before? If not, we need to start there.

The instruction said

"2) Take chest and pull it down 1 pixel."

I don't get that part.

That specifically probably means to select the chest with the section tool, and then move it down one pixel. It's usually better to copy it, and past it onto a new layer, then shift it around so you can get the location right if you aren't sure.
I already draw the character with transparent background.And how do you move only the chest with selection tool?
I already draw the character with transparent background.And how do you move only the chest with selection tool?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement