Higher Automatic Programming

Started by
4 comments, last by Morley 12 years, 6 months ago
As I get around with learning game development, I would like to have a long-term side project for an engine of sorts. Games I make through this engine would be created through a separate program in its self, much like Torque or UDK and all that good stuff.

Before reading my questions, please be aware that I realize I am a fledgling developer and this task IS massive. But I would like to know what things I should be looking for in my learning trail that I should especially retain for this kind of project.

My target language (at the moment) is C#.
2D output for now(3D oriented answers ARE DEFINATELY WELCOME).

My questions (and request for resources): **No need to answer all, especially if you don't know**

How could I go about going from a basic C# project to the XNA framework? (links, examples?) Would I be opening a link between Visual Studios and the program to "stuff" the code in?

Any other pointers/suggestions/libraries/scripts are welcome.

Thanks in advance for any assistance, and please don't tell me I can't do it alone or that I should wait. Its long term and probably no going to be complete for years.

Thanks!
Morley

Aspiring programmer, modeler and game designer.
Advertisement
If something takes more time to learn from documentation than to implement outside of the engine, don't bother implementing it. Things like AI, GUI, particles, virtual machines and databases are most likely replaced by the game programmer's own code.

If something takes more time to learn from documentation than to implement outside of the engine, don't bother implementing it. Things like AI, GUI, particles, virtual machines and databases are most likely replaced by the game programmer's own code.

That makes sense. Thanks :)
Morley

Would you happen to know a good place that would help with a very rudimentary engine? I can build upon it, so nothing fancy. Just a tutorial :) Thanks.
Morley

SlimDX seems to be what you need since you are targeting .NET languages. Native components are complicated to include to a .NET project and someone using C# for safety over performance might want an engine with the same memory protection. Even the best programmers make mistakes and a higher language will not make the screen black or overheat the harddrive when it happends.
Sweet! I was looking for somwthing like that!
Morley

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement