• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
giugio

light system

This topic is 2628 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

hello.
I'm studing a light system for a simple cad 3d.
I use a three light system(fill,key,back light).
My problem now is that i have some discontinuity in the illumination:
sometimes in some position the light factor is low.
I have two option :
1)insert another light with some compute increment
2)I'm not using the ambient light, is possible to resolve these "light bug" adding an ambient light?
3)add a multiplier factor for the diffuse light and adding an ambient light(.2)?

If i add the ambient light ,how must be intense?
there are some simple equation or a simple system for calculate how much ambient light i must add or i must test it "at hand"?

thanks.

Advertisement
Ambient light is the primitive and crude approximation of global illumination - so it is pretty much required for a realistic scene, unless you want to code more advance GI system...

I do not think it is possible to give an analytical formula for "correct" amount of ambient light ;-) - because "correct" depends on how you want your scene to look like. You can always use some modeller and tweak with lights, until you will find a combination that work.

Ambient light is the primitive and crude approximation of global illumination - so it is pretty much required for a realistic scene, unless you want to code more advance GI system...

I do not think it is possible to give an analytical formula for "correct" amount of ambient light ;-) - because "correct" depends on how you want your scene to look like. You can always use some modeller and tweak with lights, until you will find a combination that work.

You would usually use 0.2,0.2,0.2 as a light setting for ambient this is a very dark gray and basically says that when the scene isn't lit use 20% of overall light. The factor on diffuse lighting is then 0.8 to make up the rest of the lighting.

These are very course settings and should be varied on a game to game basis and should prefable be set up by an artist so he/she can determine what the right contribution is.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!