Lightmapping & Dynamic Meshes

Started by
3 comments, last by mauro78 12 years, 6 months ago
Hi All!

I'm polishing a 3D engine that'll be used for an upcoming Indie game prepared for IGF 2012.

Actually we use a deferred renderer for all the direct lighting ( spot/directional/point lights) and we use pre-rendered static lightmap to add some GI light to static objects.

I'd like to use those static lightmap to compute some "realtime" GI light for dynamic meshes. I've heard about using probes/Image based rendering and spherical harmonics....like this post:

http://blogs.unity3d.com/2011/03/09/light-probes/

can somebody point me into the right direction?? I personally like the idea to store irradiance into some probes.

Just links to some paper will be helpful.

Best Regards

Mauro
ion6 Studios
Advertisement
If you do a search for "irradiance volume" or "irradiance volumes" should find plenty of reading material.

If you do a search for "irradiance volume" or "irradiance volumes" should find plenty of reading material.

[font=arial, sans-serif][size=2]Thank you MJP sure I'll check it for later. [/font]
[font=arial, sans-serif][size=2]I'm going to store precomputed irradiance into a cubemap from lightmaps couse It seems very easy to implement and I'm (as always) short of time.[/font]
[font=arial, sans-serif][size=2]
[/font]
[font=arial, sans-serif][size=2]Regards[/font]
[/font]
[/font]
[font=arial, sans-serif][size=2]Mauro[/font]
[font=arial, sans-serif][size=2]ion6 Studios[/font]
Yeah cubemaps for diffuse irradiance is definitely simple to implement, and even pretty practical if you keep them low resolution. Once you get that working you can start working on projecting them onto SH, and then sampling the SH in your vertex or fragment shader. Then once that's working, you can start to really increase the number of sample points and try things like using a grid of them and interpolating between sample points.

Yeah cubemaps for diffuse irradiance is definitely simple to implement, and even pretty practical if you keep them low resolution. Once you get that working you can start working on projecting them onto SH, and then sampling the SH in your vertex or fragment shader. Then once that's working, you can start to really increase the number of sample points and try things like using a grid of them and interpolating between sample points.

Thank you again I'll post some screenshots soon couse the results are pretty darm nice and also Artist are happy too couse they can use lightmaps ^_^ LOL

Regards

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement