C# and Linux Server Hosting

Started by
3 comments, last by Serapth 12 years, 6 months ago
If I program my game in C# with multi player, will users be able to host the server software on Linux servers?

Think L4D2/Source games, I am pretty sure that people host those game servers on Linux rather than paying for a microsoft license.

-Confused

Thanks!
Advertisement

If I program my game in C# with multi player, will users be able to host the server software on Linux servers?

Think L4D2/Source games, I am pretty sure that people host those game servers on Linux rather than paying for a microsoft license.

-Confused

Thanks!

Ofcourse you can, just remember to not use any windows only libraries for the server and read this:
http://www.mono-project.com/Guidelines:Application_Portability
[size="1"]I don't suffer from insanity, I'm enjoying every minute of it.
The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas!

-Confused

Thanks!

In theory, yes.
The Mono platform for Linux is a binary compatible implementation of Microsofts .NET platform.

In practice though, it is unlikely that a huge codebase written on the Windows platform will run off the bat on a Linux box.
A couple of years ago, even small projects wouldn't run on Mono without at least some minor changes to the source. But, things may have changed since then.

You can check this page to see what parts of the .NET platform Mono currently does not support.

edit: Beaten by SimonForsman
To clarify/add on to the two above, you do not want any .dll files generated because that renders it platform dependent (Windows). Also, theres always Wine (which I use for win programs) but as a developer I recommend avoiding such situations as that because very few know what to do with Wine.

Best of luck!
Morley

Aspiring programmer, modeler and game designer.

To clarify/add on to the two above, you do not want any .dll files generated because that renders it platform dependent (Windows). Also, theres always Wine (which I use for win programs) but as a developer I recommend avoiding such situations as that because very few know what to do with Wine.

Best of luck!

Generating DLLs on mono/linux are just fine, they just aren't called dlls.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement