the right engine for me

Started by
9 comments, last by Joch 10 years, 7 months ago
hello,

i am looking for right game engine for my project. I am not programmer, so I am looking for some "game maker". My game is hidden object game, so it is not complicated.

GameMaker is a little bit limiting for me. I tried scirra construct - it is really fantastic engine, but some graphic card has a really problems with fullscreen mode, and I realy need fullscreen. Any ideas? Do you know some more "game makers" good for this kind of game?
Advertisement
Are you looking into commercial programming? Also I'm not sure if you want 3D or 2D. If you could clarify, that would help.

Also, no matter what engine you choose, there will be programming involved.
Morley

Aspiring programmer, modeler and game designer.
I recommend using the Unity Game Engine.
i want engine for hidden object game, and i need it 2d (rendered art) .

unity requires much scripting and it is very hard for me :(
I would also recommend unity, the scripting isnt that bad and most stuff can be done without it from what I hear.

At some point you are gonna have to bite the bullet and learn some small amount of script, prolly better soon than later.
I don't think the scripting is very hard for anyone, your just putting up a mental block.
There is a post here somewhere about a 12 year old that has been using unity since he was 9.
If you are having difficulties using Unity then I recommend you head down to www.3dbuzz.com and learn how to use it.
Game Maker. There isn't a 'hidden object game engine' AFAIK and if there was, it probably wouldn't suit what you have in mind. Bite the bullet and start working, or quit while you're still ahead - a defeatist attitude will get you nowhere.
"I will personally burn everything I've made to the fucking ground if I think I can catch them in the flames."
~ Gabe
"I don't mean to rush you but you are keeping two civilizations waiting!"
~ Cavil, BSG.
"If it's really important to you that other people follow your True Brace Style, it just indicates you're inexperienced. Go find something productive to do."
[size=2]~ Bregma

"Well, you're not alone.

There's a club for people like that. It's called Everybody and we meet at the bar[size=2].

"

[size=2]~

[size=1]Antheus
Actually why do you NEED full screen mode? I am just curious.

Actually I go with what the others have posted here. You can either learn programming

or...

Game Maker is actually a decent program. I used it when it was version 4.0 and a long time ago actually created a decent side scrolling platform game (with multiple levels, monsters, enemies, sound effects ,music etc.) with it. But I believe it is now paid software and the free version creates an ugly watermark on your graphics.

My game is hidden object game[/quote]

I am not sure what genre you want, but actually you can make hidden objects with a simple flag (boolean type) and simply not showing it on screen. Any basic "game engine" can do this.
Another thing to consider is Scratch. It's designed to teach kids to program but could easily create a hidden object game with 1/10th the complexity of Unity.

Frankly if you aren't making a 3D game, and have no programming skills, no matter how much I love Unity, it is a bad fit. You will need some programming experience and in a very rare occurrence, you actually need MORE programming experience to get 2D working in Unity, at least out of the gate. If you are looking at creating a 2D game with minimal programming experience, other engines are a much better fit.
2D is really easy in unity and requires very little scripting though. I disagree serapth. What oart lead you to believe scriptin on it is a pain?
Morley

Aspiring programmer, modeler and game designer.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement