C++ to Python or C#

Started by
11 comments, last by Zahlman 12 years, 6 months ago
Hello, I've been working with C++ for a little while and decided that I should step back and work with an easier language first (some C++ stuff was going over my head) so I've decided to learn Python or maybe C#.
I'm mostly interested in creating 2D games, and I do some of my developing on Linux and I don't think XNA is muliplatform.
And as far as Python is concerned I'm trying to decide whether to go for pygame or pyglet. I heard that pygame is better for 2D games and has more built in game functions (joypad, sound, graphics, etc) while pyglet is better than pygame + pyopengl for 3D.
So I'm wondering what do you think is easier and would transition easier back into C++.
Advertisement
Don't worry too much about transitioning. Very few languages offer a truly "easy" transition into C++, because C++ is a minefield of nastiness and quirks and such; there will be a learning curve no matter what you do. Your best bet is to get comfortable with a higher-level language and get your fundamentals of programming shored up before worrying about it at all. I wouldn't necessarily see C++ as an inevitable outcome, either; it's totally feasible to write great games and never touch it.

Wielder of the Sacred Wands
[Work - ArenaNet] [Epoch Language] [Scribblings]

Ah, thanks for the information. Yeah my plan is to dive into one of the other languages before tackling C++. But, do you have any recommendations as far as pygame, pyglet and XNA are concerned?
Python is a very fun and easy language to work with (I've worked with it some, more so with it's Japanese cousin, Ruby, however) and I feel that anyone can learn a lot of basic programming concepts from it. C++ is a very ugly language in general, like our previous informer just told us, nothing will really prepare you for it (However, the best approach would be Vanilla C (yum!) and Java skill, since you could technically say C++ is essentially a mix of the two). Pygame is SDL based, and SDL is very fun to work with; I'd say for 2D gaming, pygame is your best option by far. I have never heard of pyglet; however a quick consultation with the God of Google informs me that this wouldn't be what you should be messing with for 2D gaming.

Good luck, inform us of your decision based on the given information you have recieved.
I've decided to go with pygame, I do like the thought of having an easy and fun language. And the fact the difficulty of getting XNA to be multiplatform is a bummer. One day I hope to finish up learning C++, but for now I would like some actual results. And, I know that games aren't always built using only one language, you wouldn't happen to know which parts of games could be easily and efficiently constructed with python and which are better left to C/C++/Java?
And you wouldn't happen to know of any good resources for pygame outside of the website?

I should step back and work with an easier language first

For the record, if you were right in front of me right now, I would smack you for making that comment. Well, unless of course you were like 6'5 and a UFC fighter.

This mindset and bullshit machismo needs to die, yesterday. "Suffering for your art" doesn't exist in the programming world, and easier languages should most of the time be said as better.

If I had your mindset still from the time I started programming, I would still be writing assembly code and being looked down on by people that coded using punch cards.

Use what works and what you understand. Just because it's difficult doesn't mean its better. C++ has it's merits, but to 99% of programmers, even game programmers, it isn't worth the cost it incurs.

[quote name='Sx2Kirby' timestamp='1317767411' post='4869123']
I should step back and work with an easier language first

For the record, if you were right in front of me right now, I would smack you for making that comment. Well, unless of course you were like 6'5 and a UFC fighter.

This mindset and bullshit machismo needs to die, yesterday. "Suffering for your art" doesn't exist in the programming world, and easier languages should most of the time be said as better.

If I had your mindset still from the time I started programming, I would still be writing assembly code and being looked down on by people that coded using punch cards.

Use what works and what you understand. Just because it's difficult doesn't mean its better. C++ has it's merits, but to 99% of programmers, even game programmers, it isn't worth the cost it incurs.

[/quote]

Alright, I'll keep that in mind, and no I'm not 6'5" nor a UFC fighter, ha ha.
But what I mean is that there is a benefit to C++, it's just I realized I didn't care because I realized how much work I was putting in, and it's not like I want to make Crysis 3. So, I guess sorry for using "easier" instead of "better."

And also, does Code::Blocks really not support python, cause that would suck.

But what I mean is that there is a benefit to C++, it's just I realized I didn't care because I realized how much work I was putting in, and it's not like I want to make Crysis 3. So, I guess sorry for using "easier" instead of "better."

There is no benefit to C++ if it doesn't benefit you. The fastest and best lesson you can learn as you become a programmer is to look at languages as tools. If you have an aptitude towards certain tools, use them.

If I was to say to you that using a Acme hammer over a generic hammer would cause you to be a better carpenter, would you believe me? If so, wanna buy some swamp land?

As to Python IDEs, check out ActiveState. Frankly, it's more beginner friendly that CodeBlocks.

[quote name='Sx2Kirby' timestamp='1317777858' post='4869175']

There is no benefit to C++ if it doesn't benefit you. The fastest and best lesson you can learn as you become a programmer is to look at languages as tools. If you have an aptitude towards certain tools, use them.

If I was to say to you that using a Acme hammer over a generic hammer would cause you to be a better carpenter, would you believe me? If so, wanna buy some swamp land?

As to Python IDEs, check out ActiveState. Frankly, it's more beginner friendly that CodeBlocks.
[/quote]

Ah, I thought C++ had some speed/performance benefit or something to make it worth the large learning curve.
Thanks for all the tips, but you're an instigator, ha ha. And also, thanks for the IDE.
Sorry for the double post, but in ActivePython / Komodo Edit how exactly do you run a python script?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement