ssh server segfaults

Started by
2 comments, last by SimonForsman 12 years, 6 months ago
sshd segfaults on my server ionic.de

my key is:

[redacted]

any idea what might be causing this?
Advertisement
Someone logging into your server with the given key, and has replaced sshd with a malicious but poorly written version?

Posting your private key, if this isn't a joke post, is a bad idea. I recommend you remove it from this site and any others you may have posted the same question to. You should generate a new key pair. You might want to consider wiping and reinstalling your server - depending on whether you were configured to accept keys instead of or in addition to passwords.

I hope your username isn't trivially derived from your forum name or email address, or anything else in your profile here, and that your password is strong.
wow, do i feel stupid. so the private key is basically what i use to log in. what's the public key then? i thought i was good with computers but with this unix stuff i feel more and more like an idiot. can someone please explain how to use ssh properly?

wow, do i feel stupid. so the private key is basically what i use to log in. what's the public key then? i thought i was good with computers but with this unix stuff i feel more and more like an idiot. can someone please explain how to use ssh properly?

Basically when you have a private/public keypair the private key is held by the owner of the keypair and the public key is given out to those needing it.

Thus when you use a private/public keypair to replace a password you give the public key to the server . (with ssh the public key is stored in a file in the /home/username/.ssh folder on the server), you can give the same public key to multiple servers without any risk (Something you cannot do with normal passwords).

When the server uses a public/private keypair for encyption the server keeps the private key to itself and gives the public key to anyone connecting to it.
[size="1"]I don't suffer from insanity, I'm enjoying every minute of it.
The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement