Sign in to follow this  
Amadeus H

Conference on Artificial Intelligence

Hello everyone!

Long-time member of GameDev, recent-time poster – decided to finally join in for real :-)

I’m in a bit of a joy-rush still, as I’ve been accepted and invited as a speaker to the International Conference on Agents and Artificial Intelligence ([url="http://www.icaart.org"]ICAART[/url]), which is due in February. Thought I’d share some info on it with you.

While most presentations in the conference will not be game related (mine included), there’s usually a few dedicated to the field. Thus far only a few keynote presentations have been revealed, one which is about game AI. Frank Dignum will talk about how we can use AI to create intelligent behavior in games. I’ve included the full abstract of his presentation below, in case you're interested.

I’m looking forward to attending – maybe there will be some other GameDev members there too?

Cheers!

[b]Dignum’s abstract:[/b] "In order to create intelligent serious games we need to create a gaming environment that allows and supports intelligent behavior. We need to develop technology for generating adaptive and intelligent game flow, for creating NPC's that behave intelligently within an environment, for interacting intelligently with users, and for understanding user interaction. It seems intuitive to use agent technology for implementing these elements. Although the agent theory contains many interesting ideas it appears that more is needed to put them to practice in serious games. In this presentation I will talk about the opportunities and challenges for agents in serious gaming."

Question... do the people speaking on game AI have game industry experience? One of the major caveats about academic conferences that purport to have solutions for game AI is that many of them have never worked in the industry and their proposals are completely intractable in a game dev environment. Just curious because I didn't recognize any names in the list of prior year speakers.

[quote name='IADaveMark' timestamp='1317995383' post='4870121']
Question... do the people speaking on game AI have game industry experience? One of the major caveats about academic conferences that purport to have solutions for game AI is that many of them have never worked in the industry and their proposals are completely intractable in a game dev environment. Just curious because I didn't recognize any names in the list of prior year speakers.
[/quote]

That is a very common issue, not only related to gaming - but practice in general. I'm unsure if there's any speakers working as game devs, but usually such studies are at least done in collaboration with the industry (ie: interviews, observations etc).

I agree with you that academia oftentimes produce results that are not always applicable in reality. However, I'd argue that it brings some perspective and ideas that can be of use in practice - perhaps also driving forward the state-of-the-art in the process.

I'm currently focusing on practice-oriented studies myself (however, not within the gaming field), because of the reasons you stated, and I believe that academia is beginning to mature in this aspect (at least, that is what my supervisor is trying to comfort me with when we get talked-down by theoretical researchers ;-)).

But, to answer your question: I do not think a majority of them do, no. :-)

The good thing about AIIDE is that they at least have invited speakers from industry. Additionally, many of the academics that speak there or who are on the board have actually done game work in the past. On the other hand, there are occasionally presenters who are, allegedly, working on "advancements in game AI" who, by their own admission, "have never played games." To me, that is borderline ridiculous. Thankfully, at AIIDE, that is a rare exception... the group there is pretty decent.