Sign in to follow this  
moeen k

a vital quesion

me and my friends worked on little 2d projects with xna technology and we want to work on greater progects . there is a question some people say that xna has some limitaions that doesnt let you make great or best selling games. and for greater works some people say workin with and learning xna is just wasting time. i know we have 2 other tecnologies. direct x and open gl . and i know that xna and direct x just support microsoft platforms. please help me to expand my our work what we have really 2 do? learn open gl and direct x or xna is enogh? please i nedd a complite explanation

[quote name='moeen k' timestamp='1318014483' post='4870228']
me and my friends worked on little 2d projects with xna technology and we want to work on greater progects . there is a question some people say that xna has some limitaions that doesnt let you make great or best selling games. and for greater works some people say workin with and learning xna is just wasting time. i know we have 2 other tecnologies. direct x and open gl . and i know that xna and direct x just support microsoft platforms. please help me to expand my our work what we have really 2 do? learn open gl and direct x or xna is enogh? please i nedd a complite explanation
[/quote]

Never listen to "some people".

XNA and DirectX only work on Microsoft platforms yes, but Windows has a huge marketshare, XNA is the only API available for indie xbox360 developers and Intel has OpenGL drivers that are pure shit.

Learn how to make games, and learn about 3D programming in general, the APIs are all so similar these days that switching between them is trivial, Use whatever tool suits your needs. (If you need to deploy your games on Mac or Linux it is probably a good idea to use OpenGL, or a higher level engine/framework that provides an OpenGL renderer).

Featurewise XNA is pretty much equivalent to DirectX9 , if you need or want to play with the newer hardware features you'll have to use OpenGL or DX10+ , odds however are pretty big that whichever API you learn today will be outdated by the time you're ready to make a AAA quality game so learning the details of the APIs is pretty much a waste of time.