Sign in to follow this  
kerryhall

What exactly is the processor doing when running a video benchmark?

I have an AMD 64 3000+ with 4 gigs of RAM, and a Geforce GTX 460. I recently installed Windows 7 on there, and the Unigen Heaven benchmark. Running it, I'm getting mediocre frame rates for my card. (7 fps) When I run the process manager, I see that my CPU usage is at 100%. Here is my question: What exactly is the benchmark doing that is using the processor? Shouldn't the video card be doing 100% of the work? There is no physics (which is done on the video card anyway!), no AI, no networking, nothing that I can think of that would use the processor. Any ideas?

Thanks!

Something has to be sending the instructions to the video card; that takes some CPU load. For very good video cards and low load, you can actually be CPU bound even in a benchmark if the GPU can draw faster than you can ask for new frames.

Other than that... depends on the benchmark. I'm not personally familiar with the one in question so the best I could offer would be pure speculation.

That does seem a *bit* low, but there are tons of things that a CPU can be doing during a 3D scene -- visibility calculations, occlusion tests, general "scene management". Honestly, you have a rather lop-sided system going on. That CPU is circa... what, 2004 or so, and single-core at that? Pairing it with a relatively top-end video card is either going to under tax the GPU or overtax the CPU in real-world applications and benchmarks alike.

[quote name='ApochPiQ' timestamp='1318029813' post='4870305']
Something has to be sending the instructions to the video card; that takes some CPU load. For very good video cards and low load, you can actually be CPU bound even in a benchmark if the GPU can draw faster than you can ask for new frames.

Other than that... depends on the benchmark. I'm not personally familiar with the one in question so the best I could offer would be pure speculation.
[/quote]

So if I have a bunch of OpenGL calls, the processor has to send those to the video card each frame? What is the throughput on this, theoretically? Do you think that is what the bottleneck could be?

Is there a way I could run some kind of profiler to see how many calls are done per frame, and what percent of the CPU time is spent on what instruction? I realize the instructions will just be x86 asm, but I don't mind sifting through that. I am really curious now.

Who manufactures your card? You can usually download some kind of program to tell you how much of your gpu you are using.
If you are not using all of your gpu your processor is the bottleneck for that test (and probably for 3d applications).

[quote name='kerryhall' timestamp='1318028965' post='4870299']
I have an AMD 64 3000+ with 4 gigs of RAM, and a Geforce GTX 460....[/quote]How did you manage to assembly that? I'm surprised the power lines on the mainboard didn't blow out or something.
What's the whole point? A dual processor with a mediocre card would have likely served you much better...

Anyway, I'd [b]check the renderer[/b] first. [b]Maybe drivers didn't install correctly[/b] and you're going through the software path.