Sign in to follow this  
Fran

Getting started with skinning

I'm making a small 3d game in Directx11 and I would like to implement some skinning.

I'm just wondering if it would be longer to implement the directx 10 sample or make my own. Honnestly, I find the sample a bit messy and incomprehensible. I've never done skinning because I've always used engines like Ogre3D or Esenthel before, but I know the theory (bonematrix * weight * vertex in local coord etc.). I would like to hear your suggestions.

Thank you.

[quote name='Joedassin' timestamp='1318030083' post='4870308']
I'm making a small 3d game in Directx11 and I would like to implement some skinning.

I'm just wondering if it would be longer to implement the directx 10 sample or make my own. Honnestly, I find the sample a bit messy and incomprehensible. I've never done skinning because I've always used engines like Ogre3D or Esenthel before, but I know the theory (bonematrix * weight * vertex in local coord etc.). I would like to hear your suggestions.

Thank you.
[/quote]

[Opinion]

Unless you are attempting to learn the minute details of skinning, why re-invent the wheel? It seems you already have a grasp on how it's done. I'd say convert the DX 10 code into your own. I can't say how fast it'll be for you to convert or not (I don't know how well you program and can convert code from one base to another. No one can really say but yourself on how long it'll take you.) but having a pre-foundation that works (abet "messy and incomprehensible") seems like it'll be a quicker path than starting from nothing.

[/Opinion]