Sign in to follow this  
Alessandro

OpenGL world to local rotations

In opengl I rotate objects in world space:

glRotatef(myObject[i].zRot, 0, 0, 1);
glRotatef(myObject[i].xRot, 1, 0, 0);
glRotatef(myObject[i].yRot, 0, 1, 0);

There is a way to find the object local angles of rotation?

[quote name='Alessandro' timestamp='1318032168' post='4870317']

There is a way to find the object local angles of rotation?
[/quote]

Look into quaternions. You can use that rotation matrix to extract a quat and then get eular angles (xyz).
There is a quaternion lib in my library.
There is also a function for extracting angles directly from a rotation matrix.

[/quote]

OpenGL does not work in world space. IF your modelview was still identity, the very first rotation will happen to in world space, but only because local and global are still the same. Every rotation after that is using the local coordinate system resulting from your previous transformations. If you want to use global coordinates, you have to change the order of the matrix multiplication (ie. do it manually, because OpenGL will always do modelview = rotationMatrix * modelview, when what you want is modelview = modelview * rotationMatrix; ).

[quote name='Trienco' timestamp='1318480681' post='4872086']

[/quote]

OpenGL does not work in world space. IF your modelview was still identity, the very first rotation will happen to in world space, but only because local and global are still the same. Every rotation after that is using the local coordinate system resulting from your previous transformations. If you want to use global coordinates, you have to change the order of the matrix multiplication (ie. do it manually, because OpenGL will always do modelview = rotationMatrix * modelview, when what you want is modelview = modelview * rotationMatrix; ).
[/quote]

Sorry for the confusion. Yes opengl works in local space. I do have a quaternion library but I don't know the math of how would I go from local angles to world space, using matrices. Any chance to have some pseudo-code?

Here is the code I came up with. I'm still not sure I'm extracting angles correctly from the final step.<br><br>

[code]
float xRot=45.0*DEG_TO_RAD;
float yRot=30.0*DEG_TO_RAD;
float zRot=22.0*DEG_TO_RAD;

// build rotateX matrix
matX= new float[16];
matX[5] = cosf(xRot);
matX[6] = -sinf(xRot);
matX[9] = -matX[6];
matX[10] = matX[5];

// build rotateY matrix
matY= new float[16];
matY[0] = cosf(yRot);
matY[2] = sinf(yRot);
matY[8] = -matY[2];
matY[10] = matY[0];

// build rotateZ matrix
matZ= new float[16];
matZ[0] = cosf(zRot);
matZ[1] = sinf(zRot);
matZ[4] = -matZ[1];
matZ[5] = matZ[0];

matXY=new float[16];
matXYZ=new float[16];

matXY= matrixMultiply(matX, matY);
matXYZ=matrixMultiply(matXY, matZ); //calculate final rotation matrix matXYZ

float *modelview;
modelview= new float[16];
glGetFloatv( GL_MODELVIEW_MATRIX, modelview ); // Get the current MODELVIEW matrix from OpenGL

float *worldRotMatrix;
worldRotMatrix=new float[16];
worldRotMatrix=matrixMultiply(modelview,matXYZ); // this should be the final rotation matrix, in world space

angle_y = -asin( worldRotMatrix[2]); /* Calculate Y-axis angle */
float C = cos( angle_y );
if ( fabs( C ) > 0.005 ) /* Gimball lock? */
{
tr_x = worldRotMatrix[10] / C; /* No, so get X-axis angle */
tr_y = -worldRotMatrix[6] / C;
angle_x = atan2( tr_y, tr_x ) ;
tr_x = worldRotMatrix[0] / C; /* Get Z-axis angle */
tr_y = -worldRotMatrix[1] / C;
angle_z = atan2( tr_y, tr_x ) ;
}
else /* Gimball lock has occurred */
{
angle_x = 0; /* Set X-axis angle to zero */
tr_x = worldRotMatrix[5]; /* And calculate Z-axis angle */
tr_y = worldRotMatrix[4];
angle_z = atan2( tr_y, tr_x ) ;
}

[/code]

Forgot to show the matrixMultiply function:

[code]
float* matrixMultiply(float* m1, float* m2)
{
float *finalMat;
finalMat=new float[16];
matrixIdentity(finalMat);
// Fisrt Column
finalMat[0] = m1[0]*m2[0] + m1[4]*m2[1] + m1[8]*m2[2] + m1[12]*m2[3];
finalMat[1] = m1[1]*m2[0] + m1[5]*m2[1] + m1[9]*m2[2] + m1[13]*m2[3];
finalMat[2] = m1[2]*m2[0] + m1[6]*m2[1] + m1[10]*m2[2] + m1[14]*m2[3];
finalMat[3] = m1[3]*m2[0] + m1[7]*m2[1] + m1[11]*m2[2] + m1[15]*m2[3];

// Second Column
finalMat[4] = m1[0]*m2[4] + m1[4]*m2[5] + m1[8]*m2[6] + m1[12]*m2[7];
finalMat[5] = m1[1]*m2[4] + m1[5]*m2[5] + m1[9]*m2[6] + m1[13]*m2[7];
finalMat[6] = m1[2]*m2[4] + m1[6]*m2[5] + m1[10]*m2[6] + m1[14]*m2[7];
finalMat[7] = m1[3]*m2[4] + m1[7]*m2[5] + m1[11]*m2[6] + m1[15]*m2[7];

// Third Column
finalMat[8] = m1[0]*m2[8] + m1[4]*m2[9] + m1[8]*m2[10] + m1[12]*m2[11];
finalMat[9] = m1[1]*m2[8] + m1[5]*m2[9] + m1[9]*m2[10] + m1[13]*m2[11];
finalMat[10] = m1[2]*m2[8] + m1[6]*m2[9] + m1[10]*m2[10] + m1[14]*m2[11];
finalMat[11] = m1[3]*m2[8] + m1[7]*m2[9] + m1[11]*m2[10] + m1[15]*m2[11];

// Fourth Column
finalMat[12] = m1[0]*m2[12] + m1[4]*m2[13] + m1[8]*m2[14] + m1[12]*m2[15];
finalMat[13] = m1[1]*m2[12] + m1[5]*m2[13] + m1[9]*m2[14] + m1[13]*m2[15];
finalMat[14] = m1[2]*m2[12] + m1[6]*m2[13] + m1[10]*m2[14] + m1[14]*m2[15];
finalMat[15] = m1[3]*m2[12] + m1[7]*m2[13] + m1[11]*m2[14] + m1[15]*m2[15];

return finalMat;
}
[/code]

If you understand the dot product and know how to use it to find angles between vectors:

After you do those 3 global rotations you get a matrix that shows the new x,y,z vectors for your object. So by drawing your object with the identity matrix it is probably aligned with the global vectors (right = x, y = top, forward = z or negative z). Those 3 vectors now equal the 3 columns in your matrix after doing global rotations. In otherwords, The identity matrix gives you x,y,z axis, what do they map to now: column0,1,2 of your matrix. So do a dot product between the old x and new x, old y and new y, old z and new z. And you can figure out that but.

I assume that is what you want, but you should be knowing the local rotations (yaw,pitch,roll). I do what you do, I align all models on the z axis, that way I can do z rotation first, and then the x,y rotations are the ones the figure out the heading direction of the object. I think I just dont understand your problem though.

Sorry, instead of writing code perhaps I had to explain more in detail what I'm trying to do.
I have a simple opengl application where I load and display .obj files. The application allows also to position, scale and rotate those models using the mouse. All those transformations happen in local space.
The application allows to export the above data in a .txt file, with the following scheme:

obj file | xRot | yRot | zRot | xPos | yPos | zPos

Later on, in a [u]separate, commercial application[/u], I read this .txt file and I recreate the scene, loading sequentually the obj's files and applying the transformation values read from the .txt file.
Problem is, that the commercial application perform rotations in world space, while the angles that I "exported" are in local space.

So, what I'm trying to do is to convert those angles from local to world space so that the objects are properly rotated in the commercial application.

I hope I could explain myself better...

You should be able to use the local xyz rotations to compute what the object would draw like relative to its own Identity/Local space, Then apply the transform that makes the object be a certain way globally. Should be able to just multiply both matrices. That would give you the final matrix it should look like to draw with given the vertex data in local space. With that matrix, you could just dot product all vectors in that matrix (column0,1,2) with the regular world space vectors (1,0,0 0,1,0, 0,0,1) with their new representations column0,1,2 and that would give you the angle that the object is drawing at relative to the regular world axis.

Thanks dpadam450, so the pseudo-code would look like this:

1) build the object local space matrix
2) get the current MODELVIEW matrix from OpenGL
3) build final matrix multiplying the MODELVIEW by the local space matrix (and I think I arrived at this point in previous code I posted)
4) dot product the vectors defined by columns 0,1,2 of the final matrix, by the corresponding regular world space vectors (1,0,0 0,1,0, 0,0,1)
5) extract euler angles from this last resulting matrix.

Would that work? Any comments also from others?

Again for mine, I make sure that any game object in my game has NO transform, meaning it is drawn with the Identity matrix, and when it is drawn with the identity matrix I make sure it is fixed so that the xyz locally are the xyz globally. Meaning my model in Blender has up = y, x = right and negative z = forward for all models. If I rotate the object 30 degrees on the y-axis in my engine, I know that its local forward vector from export and in my game engine are going to be the exact same x,y,z components. So local = global. But again if your model already has a transform when exported, you should erase it if u can and just rotate the vertices and not the objects matrix. What exactly is rotx,y,z local to anyway? I can spin my body in any direction and my right relative to myself is still just "my right". I think what you have is a global transform of your model in your modeling application.

In a different way of saying what does rotx mean relative to local: stand up right now close ur eyes and spin in circles then stop. What is your rotation x relative locally to you ?..........nothing. You could say it is 100 degrees relative to my old localness, or 20 degrees on my world x. So what you are exporting is probably rotx relative to world or something, the model exported shouldnt have any. If this is an instance that you have rotated then, if you make its local original system the identity matrix then local = global.

[quote name='Alessandro' timestamp='1318535004' post='4872277']
Later on, in a [u]separate, commercial application[/u], I read this .txt file and I recreate the scene, loading sequentually the obj's files and applying the transformation values read from the .txt file.
Problem is, that the commercial application perform rotations in world space, while the angles that I "exported" are in local space.
[/quote]

Are you sure that it's not simply a matter of one application applying rotations in another order than the second app? The only difference between rotation around a local or global axis is whether you multiply like
local: matrix = rotation * matrix
global: matrix = matrix * rotation

I also really dislike storing orientations as Euler angles. It's completely useless without knowing in which order they need to be applied.

[quote name='Trienco' timestamp='1318568713' post='4872415']

Are you sure that it's not simply a matter of one application applying rotations in another order than the second app? The only difference between rotation around a local or global axis is whether you multiply like
local: matrix = rotation * matrix
global: matrix = matrix * rotation
[/quote]

Yes, it's exactly like that. All I need to do is to convert the values of local rotations in Application1 to world rotation values, so that Application2 can use those values and display objects with the same orientation.

So, say in Application1 I have an object rotated in local space, what I'm doing to convert local angles to world angles is:

1) build the rotation matrix out of object rotation angles
2) multiply the modelview by the object rotation matrix built at step1
3) get the euler angles from the above matrix

The angles computed this way, and I applied to Application2 are not working (i.e. the object orientation doesn't match the one in Application1)
This problem is driving me nut.

And what drives me crazy is that I'm so dumb to figure out what it seems to be such an easy problem. I mean, let's forget opengl for a moment.
I have an object rotated in [b]local[/b] space as follows:

pitch=45, yaw=30, roll=15

Given that world axis are [1,0,0] [0,1,0] [0,0,1]

Now, let's calculate [b]world[/b] angles out of it... what is the math beyond it?

[quote name='Alessandro_FL' timestamp='1318584787' post='4872462']
And what drives me crazy is that I'm so dumb to figure out what it seems to be such an easy problem. I mean, let's forget opengl for a moment.
I have an object rotated in [b]local[/b] space as follows:

pitch=45, yaw=30, roll=15

Given that world axis are [1,0,0] [0,1,0] [0,0,1]

Now, let's calculate [b]world[/b] angles out of it... what is the math beyond it?
[/quote]

The math is that your problem has several potential solutions with only one of them being correct and without knowing the ORDER in which pitch/yaw/roll are supposed to be applied you can only try until it fits. Three angles alone do NOT describe a unique orientation, but six possible ones. That has nothing to do with local or global space (or rather: one of those potential orders already IS the equivalent of using world instead of local axes).

Also, an angle is an angle and doesn't care about local or whatever space. If wavefront does pitch-yaw-roll using object local axes and you insist on using world axes, you do roll-yaw-pitch and are done with it. Why? Because one does
totalRotation = rotation(roll, 0,0,1) * rotation(yaw, 0,1,0) * rotation(pitch, 1,0,0)
and the other does
totalRotation = rotation(pitch, 1,0,0) * rotation(yaw, 0,1,0) * rotation(roll, 0,0,1)

At no point does it make sense to actually calculate an objects local x,y,z axis and use that for a rotation, since this happens "automatically" if you multiply in the right order.

Assuming your application is exporting angles that are based on your own order (localX, localZ, localY = globalY, globalZ, globalX), what order is the OTHER application applying the rotations?

To supplement Trienco's writings:

This code from the OP
[code]
[/code]
means a combined rotation (written n the following using column vector notation as is usual when dealing with OpenGL)
[b]R[/b][sub]z[/sub] * [b]R[/b][sub]x[/sub] * [b]R[/b][sub]y[/sub]
Probing a rotation [b]R[/b] * [b]v[/b] of a vector [b]v[/b], one notices that any point that is part of the axis of rotation is mapped onto itself ([b]0[/b] is always such a point), regardless of [b]R[/b]. Because a combined rotation like
[b]v[/b]'[b] [/b]=[b] R[/b][sub]z[/sub] * [b]R[/b][sub]x[/sub] * [b]R[/b][sub]y[/sub] * [b]v[/b]
can be seen as
[b]v[/b][sub]1[/sub] = [b]R[/b][sub]y[/sub] * [b]v[/b][b]
[b]v[/b][sub]2[/sub] = [b]R[/b][sub]x[/sub] * [b]v[/b][sub]1[/sub][b]
[b]v[/b]' = [b]R[/b][sub]z[/sub] * [b]v[/b][sub]2[/sub][/b]
I like to say that each particular rotation is done in a space that is coincident with the world space at the moment when the transformation is applied.
[/b][b]
[b]Now, you don't want to do so. You want to rotate around the axes that are coincident with the model space axes. So you have to ensure that the desired axis is coincident with the belonging "world axis" at the moment you want to apply the rotation. This is always true for the first rotation (y in this case).
[b]R[/b][sub]y[/sub] * [b]v[/b]
But after that rotation the model space x axis isn't coincident with the world y axis any longer. Hence you need to "undo" the first rotation, apply the desired rotation then, and "redo" the first rotation:[b][b]
[b][b][b][b][b][b][b]R[/b][sub]y[/sub] * [b][b][b][b][b][b][b][b][b][b]R[/b][sub]x[/sub][/b][/b][/b][/b][/b][/b][/b][/b][/b][/b][/b][b][b][b][b][b][b][b][b][b][b] [/b][/b][/b][/b][/b][/b]* [/b][/b][/b][/b][/b][/b][/b][/b][/b][/b][b][b][b][b][b][b][b][b][b][b][b][b][b][b][b][b][b][b]R[/b][sub]y[/sub][sup]-1[/sup] *[/b][/b][/b][/b][/b][/b][/b][/b][/b][/b][/b][/b][/b][/b][/b][/b][/b][/b][b][b][b][b][b][b][b][b][b][b][b][b][b][b]( [b]R[/b][sub]y[/sub] * [b]v[/b] ) = [/b][/b][/b][/b][/b][/b][/b][/b][/b][/b][/b][/b][/b][/b][b][b][b][b][b][b][b][b][b][b][b][b][b][b][b]R[/b][sub]y[/sub] * [b][b][b][b][b]R[/b][sub]x[/sub][/b][/b][/b][/b][/b][/b][/b][/b][/b][/b][/b][b][b][b][b][b][b][b][b][b][b] [/b][/b][/b][/b][/b][/b]*[/b][/b][/b][/b][/b][/b][/b][/b][/b][/b][/b][/b][b][b][b][b][b][b][b][b][b][b][b][b][b][b][b][b][b][b][b][b] v[/b][/b][/b][/b][/b][/b][/b][/b][/b][/b][/b][/b][/b][/b][/b][/b][/b][/b][/b][/b]
Doing this a 2nd time for the 3rd rotation as well, yields in
[b]R[/b][sub]y[/sub] * [b]R[/b][sub]x[/sub] * [b]R[/b][sub]z[/sub] * [b]v[/b]
what is obviously a combined rotation similarly to the original one but with a reversed order of matrices. Hence this rotation still uses the same "world axes", but due to its chosen order the effect is like rotating around the model axes. Notice please that the angles in use are not changed at all.

You [i]can[/i] compute something like "world angles" from "local angles" if you want. You would do it by choosing the order for the local rotation and compute the result with known "local angles", e.g.
[b]R[/b] := [b][b][b][b][b]R[/b][sub]y[/sub] * [b]R[/b][sub]x[/sub] * [b]R[/b][sub]z[/sub][/b][/b][/b][/b][b][b][b][b] [/b][/b][/b][/b]
and compute the angles that are needed to get the same result but with the reverse order, i.e.
[b][b][b][b][b]R[/b][sub]z[/sub] * [b]R[/b][sub]x[/sub] * [b]R[/b][sub]y[/sub] = [b][b][b][b][b][b][b][b][b][b][b][b][b]R[/b][/b][/b][/b][/b][/b][/b][/b][/b][/b][/b][/b][/b]
in this case. However, as Trienco already said, this is meaningless for the given problem.[/b][/b][/b][/b]

P.S.: This editor is really a pain! It seems impossible to prevent it to switch some portions of the text into a bold appearance...