Sign in to follow this  
Lxu

2D hitboxes creation for sprites

Hello Guys,

I'm new here. I searched over the web for my question but couldn't find a response, maybe i'm not using the right words. (sorry for my bad english)

I'm programming a 2D game and i would like to have some precision for collision detection between sprites. I searched about some approaches, like rectangle-rectangle collision, per-pixel collision, and for a good precision and less processing efforts end up with hitboxes.
for hitboxes i'm saying somethink like street fighter hitboxes http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sA18jodKPFs

So, my problem is, i'm not sure exactly how this rectangles can be created and stored in a fast way. I think i will need a file correlated with the sprite sheets (possible animation), so for each frame i will have the information of the rectangles dimensions and positions relative to the sprite, and then i can test collisions against it. When a create my entity it will have a file with this shapes informations. To create this shapes i thought about some design editing tool that can create them visualy over the original sprite and export to a file with text descriptions, so my program can read them. Is there some tool like that?

i appreciate any suggestions,

thanks.

I'm currently working on a 2D fighter and was also wondering if a tool might already exist that would let me simply draw my hit boxes over my sprites and export the hit box data so I could import it into my game, and that way, easily and quickly create hit boxes. But I kind of had a hunch that there wasn't anything out there that was publicly/freely available that did that. Instead I just open my sprites in Paint.Net, which will show you the coords of your mouse, and I just generate my hit boxes from looking at the mouse coords of where I want the corners of my hit box. It really only takes about a little less than a minute to create each hit box.