Learning Java: Where to start?

Started by
12 comments, last by Serapth 12 years, 6 months ago
I was wondering if anyone had some good resources for learning java and some tips on the best order in which to learn the concepts of java.

I have some coding experience (Interactive C and minor C++ basics) but know nothing about java (syntax wise. I understand the pros and cons of the language and JIT compiler)

My goal is to eventually use LWJGL for some hobbyist game development but for some reason I'm having a hard time finding up to date java resources on the web.
Advertisement
I guess you could start with some simple tutorials just to get a feel for the syntax, even though it is similar to c++.
This is a good website to get your started:
http://www.freejavaguide.com/corejava.htm

If you haven't already, download netbeans. I don't know any others but netbeans is okay, can be annoying if you're use to visual studio though.

I guess you could start with some simple tutorials just to get a feel for the syntax, even though it is similar to c++.
This is a good website to get your started:
http://www.freejavag...om/corejava.htm

If you haven't already, download netbeans. I don't know any others but netbeans is okay, can be annoying if you're use to visual studio though.

Thank you very much :)
Thank you for the link, this is very useful and informative!
I might get flamed for this, but the way me and my friend both learned Java was by making mods for Minecraft and Bukkit.

It really helped us and when we didn't understand something, Google was our friend or we could just look at the source code/javadoc.

I found that modding really helped me learn Java and I know consider myself quite proficient in it. The rest I learned from the Oracle website.
What I have found useful with Java (since its sytnax is so much like c++) when you need a specific topic (ie I/O , containers..) just google that topic for java.. That is how I have done it and it has worked out quite well.

With the netbeans suggestion out there I would also suggest Eclipse as your IDE (it is very nice, especially if you plan to move to android development)... Also if you ever get to to 3D development , Unity3D (game engine) lets you use java as scripting language for development, as well as UDK (another engine) which uses a form of Java for its scripting.

Also make sure you understand the java pass by value/pass by refrence argument... It can trip a lot of people up.This is a good read on the topic

Edit: Both Unity and UDK are free and perfect for hobbyist. I cant speak for UDK but Unity is also powerful enough to go farther with it if you ever decide to.

Eric Ranaldi a.k.a RanBlade

[size=1]"Passion is what drives you to stay up until 4am fixing that bug that hardly anyone would notice...

[size=1]Passion is where great games come from, if you dont live and breathe games you shouldn't be in the games industry."

[size=2]- Dave Pottinger, Ensemble Studios

[size=1][GameDev][C++ Page][Unity Game Engine][Panda3D Game Engine][NeHe Productions][Drunken Hyena][MSDN][Beej's Guide to Network Programming]

[size=1][FreedBSD][My Site][Gamasutra][Khan Acadamey]

The following link is REALLY useful because it uses real-world examples to explain everything. The code is also well explained and documented when presented to you.

Since its from the developers of the language, its usually up to date with the current version of java.
http://download.oracle.com/javase/tutorial/java/

Hope that helps! PM me with any issues you may have with your early-on projects and I can help to an extent. With difficult errors, always feel free to post on GameDev.net where everyone is really friendly and willing to help.

Cheers!
Morley

Aspiring programmer, modeler and game designer.
[color=#1C2837][size=2] Unity3D (game engine) lets you use java as scripting language for development[/quote]

Just to clarify: Unity uses javascript, and not java. Just so there is no confusion if you decide to use unity at some point :)
Its all a matter of will power

[color="#1C2837"] Unity3D (game engine) lets you use java as scripting language for development

Just to clarify: Unity uses javascript, and not java. Just so there is no confusion if you decide to use unity at some point :)
[/quote]

Same with UDK. With that said, both of them use a their own form of javascript with their own tweaks. Untiy's javascript implementation has been officially dubbed UnityScript. Likewise, UDK has dubbed their javascript implementation UnrealScript.
Co-founder/Lead Programmer
Bonafide Software, L.L.C.
Fairmont, WV 26554 US

[quote name='Oluf' timestamp='1318320703' post='4871374']
[color="#1C2837"] Unity3D (game engine) lets you use java as scripting language for development

[/quote]

Same with UDK. With that said, both of them use a their own form of javascript with their own tweaks. Untiy's javascript implementation has been officially dubbed UnityScript. Likewise, UDK has dubbed their javascript implementation UnrealScript.
[/quote]

You are right. I am sorry for the mis-information, and thank you for correcting my mistake. I still do recommend both tools though.

Eric Ranaldi a.k.a RanBlade

[size=1]"Passion is what drives you to stay up until 4am fixing that bug that hardly anyone would notice...

[size=1]Passion is where great games come from, if you dont live and breathe games you shouldn't be in the games industry."

[size=2]- Dave Pottinger, Ensemble Studios

[size=1][GameDev][C++ Page][Unity Game Engine][Panda3D Game Engine][NeHe Productions][Drunken Hyena][MSDN][Beej's Guide to Network Programming]

[size=1][FreedBSD][My Site][Gamasutra][Khan Acadamey]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement