Why this game idea won't work?

Started by
3 comments, last by CaptainVG 12 years, 6 months ago
Gameplay:It is a 2d RPG game with elements of point to click and visual novel where the player controls the main character Heold. Players can move,run,jump,pick anduse objects when in the field.When picking items, the player can use them to other items in order to solve some puzzle

For example the player must get a rope to save Baron in the first level. When playersreach Dragon Heart the player must complete tasks for further progressing. During the battle system the player like every rpg game must defeat the opponent by using various tatics. However Heold is immortal meaning that enemies cannot harm him for the time beingwhile his partner gets harmed.

Heold can protect his partner to avoid his partner from losing hp and vise versa.

As the game progresses Heold’s immortality will slowly fade off when fighting similar powerful enemies. Players can only use one partner when completing tasks. There are two ways to level up. One way is defeating enemies to get EXP. The other way is to sing the lyrics of the songs eitherby repeating the lyrics, humming or singing along sometimes to increase stats according to the character singing. The game has various endings.

The game ends if Heold and his partner lose in abattle.

A friend of mine called Gamedesign Dan told me that this idea is impossible. I was supposed to forget the idea but my curiosity is beyond my patience. If anyone is a friend of Dan, tell him how sorry I feel for being a fool out of myself.
Advertisement
What elements did he claim impossible to do? It starts off sounding like a cross between a point and click adventure/RPG which I don't see a problem with. The duel character system is again doable although there's issues with a character being "immortal". Removing such a system half way through can be very jarring to a player since they will have adapted their style of play to the fact their character can't due. The idea of being immortal kind of conflicts with the fact "The game ends if Heold and his partner lose in a battle".

Singing as a way to gain exp seems rather strange, maybe it would be better to have it give the player something separate to exp since it sounds like a player could sit there all day with their character singing and reach max level in no time.

Now personally i can't see a reason for it being impossible to do, I just feel it needs some work to refine the idea.

There also the problem that some of your words are melded together which does make the whole thing a lot harder to read. This probably isn't your fault; I get the same issue if I copy text from a word document into the editor on this forum. It just seems to be a (very annoying) bug but going back and editing the file to slit up the words after you originally post it would make read the post a lot easier.

"It is a 2d RPG game withelements of point to click and visual novel where the playercontrols the main character Heold. Players can move,run,jump,pick anduse objects when in the field."
Point and click and jump? Like in a platformer? I think there are too many different conflicting genres involved.

Stellar Monarch (4X, turn based, released): GDN forum topic - Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

What elements did he claim impossible to do? It starts off sounding like a cross between a point and click adventure/RPG which I don't see a problem with. The duel character system is again doable although there's issues with a character being "immortal". Removing such a system half way through can be very jarring to a player since they will have adapted their style of play to the fact their character can't due. The idea of being immortal kind of conflicts with the fact "The game ends if Heold and his partner lose in a battle".

Singing as a way to gain exp seems rather strange, maybe it would be better to have it give the player something separate to exp since it sounds like a player could sit there all day with their character singing and reach max level in no time.

Now personally i can't see a reason for it being impossible to do, I just feel it needs some work to refine the idea.

There also the problem that some of your words are melded together which does make the whole thing a lot harder to read. This probably isn't your fault; I get the same issue if I copy text from a word document into the editor on this forum. It just seems to be a (very annoying) bug but going back and editing the file to slit up the words after you originally post it would make read the post a lot easier.

See the thing is that in RPG the combat system isn't unique meaning its the same tatics, same hp,mp etc. Even if most of them are unique, they still have the principles of RPG like leveling up.

I like the immortal Idea because its too frustrating and too boring leveling up or to try and escape. It also makes the game difficult. For example in the first part, Heold is immune to attacks. But when the immunity to attack is reduced, he will be immune to something else. So at that time, players will become more aware and at the same time, make it simpler because by the time Heold immunity is entirely gone, he reaches to the highest level(In the final battle only). I

'm trying to make things simple yet challenging. Also seeing Disney movies back then makes me feel that this idea should be in Disney because it has tons of emotions. Like the main villain turns out to be heold father and the reason why he bothered Heold and his friends too much is because he wanted to make sure that he won't be harmed or if someone hurted him so badly.

Yeah I guess I should give singing a different thing like maybe roses that will aid in increasing stats.
[font=arial, verdana, tahoma, sans-serif][size=2]I have developed a way that will make the frustrated ones cool down a little when playing RPG games.

This game is focused on having high stats and high magic in the first place. Meaning that there is no level up so players can easily defeat baddies. Also instead of learning magic gradually, the player can learn any sort of magic by reading any three magic books in the school library. But as the game progresses the player's health and magic decreases because of the story part of it. This way it becomes challenging because the lower the hp and magic as well as the stats will slightly be lowered to increase the difficulty.[/font]

In case you want to know the title of my project its called Enchanted Love. In the story all characters have feelings that they keep it as a secret which makes the story emotional.

The reason is that I feel the combat system is too cliche even for pokemon. And leveling up can be too frustrating and boring. So I want to avoid this so that players don't get frustrated and can involve more on solving puzzles and using any magic they want to face tougher monsters and bosses.

So how is it?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement