Sign in to follow this  
Kario

crash on ATI in glBufferData

I have a problem with resolving a problem on ATI Radeon HD 3430 with a crash in glBufferData. It crashes with a buffer ~48MB or larger. If I only allocate the buffer (with NULL data pointer) then it works ok - no OUT_OF_MEMORY error but then glBufferSubData crashes when I tried to load some data into the buffer.
It works fine on many other ATI devices. This is obviously a ATI driver bug, but is there a way that would allow me to somehow detect the problem and disable VBO on affected computers ? Has someone came across this problem ?

while this may or may not be directly relevant some cards have a maximum of 65536 vertices per draw call (maybe some have different limits) so you might want to stick to this amount which will result in your vbos being smaller anyway.

[color=#1C2837][size=2]glBufferData can throw more errors than just out of memory, i assume you're checking all of them?[/size][/color]

You can cruise http://www.opengl.org/discussion_boards/ubbthreads.php?ubb=postlist&Board=13&page=1
for driver problems.

Why disabled VBO? Just use smaller buffers instead.

I check for other error messages. Of course I can use smaller buffer size, but there are 2 problems:
1. I'm trying to came up with a quick patch.
2. If ATI driver crashes with out issuing an error than I can't assume that it will not crash with a larger amount of smaller buffers or in some other cases that I cannot predict.

[quote name='Kario' timestamp='1318114111' post='4870629']
I check for other error messages. Of course I can use smaller buffer size, but there are 2 problems:
1. I'm trying to came up with a quick patch.
2. If ATI driver crashes with out issuing an error than I can't assume that it will not crash with a larger amount of smaller buffers or in some other cases that I cannot predict.
[/quote]

If many small buffers cause a crash, then I reckon we are all in hot water :)