• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

crash on ATI in glBufferData

This topic is 2389 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I have a problem with resolving a problem on ATI Radeon HD 3430 with a crash in glBufferData. It crashes with a buffer ~48MB or larger. If I only allocate the buffer (with NULL data pointer) then it works ok - no OUT_OF_MEMORY error but then glBufferSubData crashes when I tried to load some data into the buffer.
It works fine on many other ATI devices. This is obviously a ATI driver bug, but is there a way that would allow me to somehow detect the problem and disable VBO on affected computers ? Has someone came across this problem ?

Advertisement
while this may or may not be directly relevant some cards have a maximum of 65536 vertices per draw call (maybe some have different limits) so you might want to stick to this amount which will result in your vbos being smaller anyway.

[color=#1C2837][size=2]glBufferData can throw more errors than just out of memory, i assume you're checking all of them?

You can cruise http://www.opengl.org/discussion_boards/ubbthreads.php?ubb=postlist&Board=13&page=1
for driver problems.

Why disabled VBO? Just use smaller buffers instead.

I check for other error messages. Of course I can use smaller buffer size, but there are 2 problems:
1. I'm trying to came up with a quick patch.
2. If ATI driver crashes with out issuing an error than I can't assume that it will not crash with a larger amount of smaller buffers or in some other cases that I cannot predict.

I check for other error messages. Of course I can use smaller buffer size, but there are 2 problems:
1. I'm trying to came up with a quick patch.
2. If ATI driver crashes with out issuing an error than I can't assume that it will not crash with a larger amount of smaller buffers or in some other cases that I cannot predict.

If many small buffers cause a crash, then I reckon we are all in hot water :)

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement