Could you comment for my portfolio ?

Started by
5 comments, last by Hodgman 12 years, 5 months ago
Hi,

I`d like to know your critiques for My portfolio

thanks in advance
Advertisement
I get many contradictory messages on it.

It states that you have all these talents in graphics, but the showpiece on the front page is rather disappointing. It is a low res movie (not good for showing off graphics) and seems to only show techniques that could be part of a university course. Nothing in the demo is impessive to me at all.

Looking at the other movies there are huge differences in the quality of conent, and I immediately question them. What exactly was yours, what came from elsewhere?

I look at that you are a self taught developer. But then you write about finishing your MSc at university studies in game developmnt and four years at an instutitue of technology in electronics engineering, and then finish off the set saying you unofficially attended a few CS lectures. That does not inspire confidence.

This continues all the way through your site and your CV. You state things that might be important in passing, but then emphasise things that are irrelevant. You have much space pointing out that you collaborated on the Microsoft-directed research project that really seems like a very unimportant student project, and use almost the same space later claining to have developed networking, video codecs, and hardware image processors.

Nothing in there looks like you want to be a game developer. The whole thing looks scattered and unfocused. There are certainly things you have done that could be restated in terms of game development skills. You should start by figuring those out and giving them focus.
First of all , thanks very much for spending your time and sharing your critiques :

It states that you have all these talents in graphics, but the showpiece on the front page is rather disappointing. It is a low res movie (not good for showing off graphics) and seems to only show techniques that could be part of a university course. Nothing in the demo is impessive to me at all.

Except from its being a low res movie , what techniques would you suggest to implement regarding content of the video to be able to make it impressive ?

On the other hand , considering other 3 demos , would you suggest to put any of them to the front ?

And I cant understand where I state I have talents in graphics ? First I wrote `I am focused` now I changed it to `passionate` , I hope that fixes the misleading statement

because I will apply for `entry level` jobs

Looking at the other movies there are huge differences in the quality of conent, and I immediately question them. What exactly was yours, what came from elsewhere?

I have just 2 other videos in `demos section` for a PS3 project and a simple network programming. All programming credits are mine.

But how can they have a huge difference in quality ?? Network programimng demo`s video captured in same style with my graphics demo.

Regarding PS3 video , I used a simple cam recorder.

I look at that you are a self taught developer. But then you write about finishing your MSc at university studies in game developmnt and four years at an instutitue of technology in electronics engineering, and then finish off the set saying you unofficially attended a few CS lectures. That does not inspire confidence.

During electronics engineering course , I studied and practised Windows C++ programming , yes that makes me self taught

During MSc ( what I really was after is not being educated but getting WORK PERMIT ) , I made self studies as crazy

Regarding education part , I wrote them in reverse order by date. And during my electronics engieering , then I attended to CS lectures unofficially so that is related with there so that is

why it is there. I am afraid I don`t agree with this on you , I think it is a matter of perspective.

This continues all the way through your site and your CV. You state things that might be important in passing, but then emphasise things that are irrelevant. You have much space pointing out that you collaborated on the Microsoft-directed research project that really seems like a very unimportant student project, and use almost the same space later claining to have developed networking, video codecs, and hardware image processors.

I will try to re-arrange amount of `spaces` used per experience on the CV. Thanks for pointing to that out.

Regarding my site , instead of using the headline `Graphics & Game Programming` , I changed it to `Graphics and Game Technologies`

Plus , if you are pointing out to `Others` section , I think the title is not misleading because they already are not in demos section , they are just there

because I enjoyed my time when working with them , they might be unrelated to game TECHNOLOGIES development I am aware so that is why I call`em the others

Nothing in there looks like you want to be a game developer. The whole thing looks scattered and unfocused. There are certainly things you have done that could be restated in terms of game development skills. You should start by figuring those out and giving them focus.

I am not directly interested in games , but directly interested in game technologies , that would be developing a part of an engine , working on graphics and special effects , maybe networking or physics.

So thanks to your critique , I have changed the headline in the entrance as `Graphics & Game Technologies Programming`

Ofcourse I did not have great time to specialize on all of those , so that is why I tried to build a graphics demo from scratch even it is not impressive and the others

But regarding game technologies programming , what changes would you suggest to restate them ? How really can I restate them if my all past experiences had nothing directly todo with those

The only thing I can offer with my past experiences is C/C++ development , but no engine no graphics no others
Could you give a feedback considering the fact that I don`t have any prior graphics or game industry experience so I will apply for entry level jobs ?

thanks in advance...
Is the site really rubbish ?

I really am looking forward to hearing feedbacks , especially constructive ones

thanks...

Is the site really rubbish ?

I really am looking forward to hearing feedbacks , especially constructive ones

thanks...

I'm told it's useful to have a completed game or two as listed projects. Even if they aren't graphically advanced, as long as they are "complete" (menus, ect.), they show a commitment to your projects.
The 3D graphics demo shows that you're familiar enough for a junior/intermediate graphics programming job. Yes, there's nothing "amazing" in it, but it shows familiarity with projections, surfaces, HDR, simulation, post processing and special effects. You've covered everything a graphics programmer needs except animation and DX11 experience.
The fact that you've used GCM before is also a huge plus.

I didn't notice the "HOME | DEMOS | OTHERS" links the first time I looked at the page, and as a result I didn't see your radiosity demo (which is a nice demo for a graphics programmer to have).

The layout of your resume is a bit messy - I try to keep mine to a single page only. You could remove the projects section, and simply provide one URL saying that you have 3d graphics, PS3 and multi-threading demos at your website.

Your English grammar is a bit incorrect in places, and many sentences do not "flow" naturally. However, this is entirely forgiveable as you're not a native English speaker.

Saying that you're 'self taught' and that you 'unofficially' studied comp-sci does sound bad to an employer. When a HR person reads that, they're going to picture an unlicensed doctor performing illegal basement surgery tongue.gif
I would instead call yourself an "experienced C++ engineer", etc... Many electrical engineering courses also cover some computer-science material, so it doesn't sound that bad to say that you studied EE instead of CS.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement