CPP, SFML Tutorials newbie question

Started by
3 comments, last by justcolorado 12 years, 6 months ago
Hello all,

I am new here. My programming skills are not that great but am one of those that prefers to go the C++ route. At the advice of one of the posts I found somewhere in this forum I installed the SFML libraries and started the tutorials. I was enjoying learning it and everything worked fine until I got to the launch a window tutorial. I put the code in and got a bunch of error messages (see below):
I am not sure what I did wrong. In the tutorial they mentioned this: "Under Windows operating systems, you may have created a "Windows Application" project, especially if don't want the console to show up. In such case, to avoid replacing main by WinMain, you can link with SFML_Main static library and keep a standard and portable main entry point. " I wasn't sure how to accomplish "link with SFML_MAIN static library" and that may be the source of the error messages, but I am new to this so really not sure. If anybody knows how I can get this to work so I can go on with the tutorials, I would really appreciate the help.

Thank you!:rolleyes:

(I also posted the full source below)

1>------ Build started: Project: SFML-tutorials, Configuration: Debug Win32 ------
1>Linking...
1>main.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol "__declspec(dllimport) public: virtual __thiscall sf::Window::~Window(void)" (__imp_??1Window@sf@@UAE@XZ) referenced in function _main
1>main.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol "__declspec(dllimport) public: void __thiscall sf::Window::Display(void)" (__imp_?Display@Window@sf@@QAEXXZ) referenced in function _main
1>main.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol "__declspec(dllimport) public: __thiscall sf::Window::Window(class sf::VideoMode,class std::basic_string<char,struct std::char_traits<char>,class std::allocator<char> > const &,unsigned long,struct sf::WindowSettings const &)" (__imp_??0Window@sf@@QAE@VVideoMode@1@ABV?$basic_string@DU?$char_traits@D@std@@V?$allocator@D@2@@std@@KABUWindowSettings@1@@Z) referenced in function _main
1>main.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol "__declspec(dllimport) public: __thiscall sf::VideoMode::VideoMode(unsigned int,unsigned int,unsigned int)" (__imp_??0VideoMode@sf@@QAE@III@Z) referenced in function _main
1>C:\Users\colorado\Documents\Visual Studio 2008\Projects\SFML-tutorials\Debug\SFML-tutorials.exe : fatal error LNK1120: 4 unresolved externals
1>Build log was saved at "file://c:\Users\colorado\Documents\Visual Studio 2008\Projects\SFML-tutorials\SFML-tutorials\Debug\BuildLog.htm"
1>SFML-tutorials - 5 error(s), 0 warning(s)
========== Build: 0 succeeded, 1 failed, 0 up-to-date, 0 skipped ==========

#include <SFML/Window.hpp>

////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
/// Entry point of application
///
/// \return Application exit code
///
////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
int main()
{
// Create the main window
sf::Window App(sf::VideoMode(800, 600, 32), "SFML Window");

// Start main loop
bool Running = true;
while (Running)
{
App.Display();
}
//system ("pause");
return EXIT_SUCCESS;
}

My Projects: - www.repulse.com

Advertisement
Your handling of error messages should not be binary. It's a message so read it. If you can't understand the message, Google and find out what they are saying. Don't just mentally flail on the presence of any error message.

> unresolved external symbol "__declspec(dllimport) public: virtual __thiscall sf::Window::~Window(void)" (__imp_??1Window@sf@@UAE@XZ) referenced in function _main

It can't find the implementation of the various Window functions. Which would mean you didn't link the sfml window library.
The SFML tutorial has a step by step setup guide for Visual Studio.
Make sure you go through all the steps

SFML Tutorial

PS.
From Visual Studio 2010 and forward all these settings is found under the project settings, not the Tools menu as the tutorial says
For configuration, you can refer to this tutorial.
Thank you all!

Loading the library fixed the problem. (Hurray, I can open a window now)
I will try it out on VS2010 with the steps you suggested.
And those configuration steps were very useful.

Thanks! :rolleyes:

My Projects: - www.repulse.com

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement