Sign in to follow this  
FredrikHolmstr

Fixed Point vs. Fractional Integers

Not sure if I'm using the right terms in my topic title, but my question is very simple: Are there any inherent benefits of using one method over the other? By Fixed Point i mean numbers with fixed fractions, say down to .0001 and by Fractional Integers I mean picking a smallest unit, say 0.0001 and representing it as the integer value 1.

The reason I ask is because I'm messing around with deterministic simulations over a network. I've dealt with financial calculations before where I've used the fractional integer method for representing one thousand of a cent so I am familiar with it. I have however never implemented a fixed point math structure (or library of functions for that structure).

I think they describe the same concept, but use different underlying implementations, which is what the OP is querying I believe.

I took a quick look at the wikipedia page for [url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fixed-point_arithmetic"]Fixed Point Arthimetic[/url] and realised there's a bunch of stuff I didn't know about the process, for example: "Q" numbers. If you haven't already, I suggest reviewing that article as a starting point.