Sign in to follow this  
NicholasLopez

looking for simple megaman example

Every single google search returns NOTHING for:
"megaman c++ sdl"
is there literally no human being who has ever done this? XD

I learn by studying source code, thats just how it is, little tuts dont do anything for me (unless theres a tut for making a platform game in c++ sdl, which is another thing google has no answers for).

do any of you have a simple megaman example?

[quote name='DrNicholas' timestamp='1318204963' post='4870912']
"megaman c++ sdl"

I learn by studying source code, thats just how it is, little tuts dont do anything for me (unless theres a tut for making a platform game in c++ sdl, which is another thing google has no answers for).

[/quote]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_open-source_video_games.

There is no such thing as a simple megaman example though, (Megaman is covered by copyright and trademarks so distributing your own megaman game would be illegal)

You know what I mean lol. Similar playing to megaman...
[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=37OvxMWyXPg"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=37OvxMWyXPg[/url]
kind of like in that video, thats what I am looking for or this
[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SYiw13utzgE&feature=related"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SYiw13utzgE&feature=related[/url]

Hidden
What you need to look for are code samples for platform games in general. I tried to look for the Jump 'n' Run Dev site which covered exactly that, and based on an SDL game called Super Mario War, but it seems that the site is long gone now.

Surprisingly, the SMW game is still fairly recently updated and developed for, and it has source code for it if you're interested. Depending on your expertise, it may be a little complex for you to make something out of it.

http://72dpiarmy.supersanctuary.net/viewtopic.php?t=10241

Barring that, have you looked at [url="http://lazyfoo.net/SDL_tutorials/index.php"]Lazy Foo's tutorials[/url] yet?

You really won't find any "c++ sdl megaman" tutorial. There might be megaman tutorials, and there definately are enough
C++ and sdl tutorials out there. Its on you to put these together into a game. If this task is too difficult or doesnt interest you, I'd suggest you to screw programming and skip to a game making engine like RpgMaker xp or so. What you are asking for sounds like a complete tutorial on how to make a megaman game from start to finish..

not really, I just need the megaman like movements, I have coded something but I dont know jack about jumping.

I hate those screw around programs :P I played with all those when I was younger lol. my game was fully done in bennu, but i need to rewrite so it works on the dreamcast.

[quote name='DrNicholas' timestamp='1318204963' post='4870912']
"megaman c++ sdl"
[/quote]

A game is built upon a selection of concepts. Searching for a tutorial on how to build a game using the exact selection of concepts is unlikely to yield any results. However, searching for each concept individually is likely to yield many results with many differing perspectives, and will ultimately enable you to understand how to build toward your goal.

[quote]
[/quote]

This does not bode well for a programmer.

While this may be beneficial for beginners learning the very basics of programming, this technique tends to allow the programmer to copy-paste code without really allowing the programmer to understand the mechanics or the thought process that went behind that snippet of code. I should know. Many (many) years ago, I used to do the same with an OpenGL tutorial that had prebuilt FPS-style camera movement, a basic 3d level loader, and basic collision. Although I had been programming for a while, I didn't know what I was really doing and struggled to make a program I didn't understand do what I wanted it to do.

[quote]
[/quote]

While I do not have a simple Megaman game, here's a sample list of the individual components that might go in a Megaman game:

1) Setting up the render device
2) Loading resources
3) Basic game-loop
4) The game logic
5) The tilemap and the level
6) Basic physics
7) The player
8) The enemies

That first youtube video you linked to deals with player motion including jumping. So if you "don't know jack about jumping" that seems as good a place as any to start.

[quote name='DrNicholas' timestamp='1318265346' post='4871126']
What does that have to do with anything? My reply at 9:04am is considered a bump?
[/quote]

I believe Phantom is referring to post number four, made only three hours after your other post (post number 3), where the only thing said was "bump".

As others have said, looking for a complete tutorial with a very specific list of demands, is going to be hard to come by. You'll do much better by singling out one aspect (or two) and searching for that.

The following game I have borrowed code from a friend and added some of my own. He had rotozoom in it, but i constantly got linker errors so I removed everything related to zoom.

The game compiles, but does not load. He also set the resolution to 1024x768, I changed it to 320x240 (im assuming the player will still spawn at the top of the screen). He also had the sprites resized by 2 times (for the bigger resolution), but I took that out as well.

I have included what he had as well, he has a bunch of unnessecary macintosh files.

[quote name='DrNicholas' timestamp='1318265346' post='4871126']
What does that have to do with anything? My reply at 9:04am is considered a bump?

OFF TOPIC!

are there links for those things?
[/quote]

It has to do with your conduct on these forums, which as a forum moderator I'm asking your nicely to adjust so that we don't have any problems in the future.

As pointed out by someone else above you posted once at 1:59am (in my time zone) and then 3 hours later posted again with 'bump'. This is considered rude in most forums and frowned up here which is why I asked you nicely to not do it again in future and gave you guidelines as to acceptable 'bump' times.

If you've already developed the game in another language, why do you need to be shown how to make it again in C++? The differences in code will be largely syntactical rather than algorithmical, you'll just be able to pretty much copy exactly what you've done already.

I made it in fenix (which is the same thing as div or bennu).
[url="http://wiki.bennugd.org/index.php?title=Bennu"]http://wiki.bennugd.org/index.php?title=Bennu[/url]

I mean if its possible to covnert the code (ill convert the images and use clips) then all will be well :D. I do notice many similarities except everything is done out in processes and goes like this:
Program "example";
Global
Logal
Begin
Process()
Private
Begin
Frame;
End

aside from that way, the code is practically the same in many cases.

[quote name='DrNicholas' timestamp='1318295065' post='4871284']
nah, im developing for dreamcast, I had my game done in another language but it doesnt work as well as c++ on the dreamcast.
[/quote]
Ummm... Maybe you don't quite get it but... programming is programming. Languages and APIs are just tools. If you can do it in one language, you can do it in another. Making a game where a character can jump can be done in any language I can think of, and in most of them the methods used to make this happen are the same. It's just syntax and idioms that are mostly different. The core structure of it all stays the same.

What I'm really trying to say is learn how to program first. Properly program. I'm not trying to be rude, but really, I think you're getting ahead of yourself.

If you didn't do enough programming to know how to port it when you originally made it... well then I'd say it's time to get your hands dirty in learning how to properly program in some language you would like (starting from the basics). Otherwise it'll never happen.

Then you don't need tutorials on how to make a platformer, you need tutorials on C++ basics and idioms. And there are countless numbers of those floating around.