looking for simple megaman example

Started by
20 comments, last by yckx 12 years, 6 months ago
Every single google search returns NOTHING for:
"megaman c++ sdl"
is there literally no human being who has ever done this? XD

I learn by studying source code, thats just how it is, little tuts dont do anything for me (unless theres a tut for making a platform game in c++ sdl, which is another thing google has no answers for).

do any of you have a simple megaman example?
Advertisement

"megaman c++ sdl"

I learn by studying source code, thats just how it is, little tuts dont do anything for me (unless theres a tut for making a platform game in c++ sdl, which is another thing google has no answers for).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_open-source_video_games.

There is no such thing as a simple megaman example though, (Megaman is covered by copyright and trademarks so distributing your own megaman game would be illegal)
[size="1"]I don't suffer from insanity, I'm enjoying every minute of it.
The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas!
You know what I mean lol. Similar playing to megaman...

kind of like in that video, thats what I am looking for or this
What you need to look for are code samples for platform games in general. I tried to look for the Jump 'n' Run Dev site which covered exactly that, and based on an SDL game called Super Mario War, but it seems that the site is long gone now.

Surprisingly, the SMW game is still fairly recently updated and developed for, and it has source code for it if you're interested. Depending on your expertise, it may be a little complex for you to make something out of it.

http://72dpiarmy.supersanctuary.net/viewtopic.php?t=10241

Barring that, have you looked at Lazy Foo's tutorials yet?

New game in progress: Project SeedWorld

My development blog: Electronic Meteor

bump
You really won't find any "c++ sdl megaman" tutorial. There might be megaman tutorials, and there definately are enough
C++ and sdl tutorials out there. Its on you to put these together into a game. If this task is too difficult or doesnt interest you, I'd suggest you to screw programming and skip to a game making engine like RpgMaker xp or so. What you are asking for sounds like a complete tutorial on how to make a megaman game from start to finish..
not really, I just need the megaman like movements, I have coded something but I dont know jack about jumping.

I hate those screw around programs :P I played with all those when I was younger lol. my game was fully done in bennu, but i need to rewrite so it works on the dreamcast.

"megaman c++ sdl"

A game is built upon a selection of concepts. Searching for a tutorial on how to build a game using the exact selection of concepts is unlikely to yield any results. However, searching for each concept individually is likely to yield many results with many differing perspectives, and will ultimately enable you to understand how to build toward your goal.

[/quote]

This does not bode well for a programmer.

While this may be beneficial for beginners learning the very basics of programming, this technique tends to allow the programmer to copy-paste code without really allowing the programmer to understand the mechanics or the thought process that went behind that snippet of code. I should know. Many (many) years ago, I used to do the same with an OpenGL tutorial that had prebuilt FPS-style camera movement, a basic 3d level loader, and basic collision. Although I had been programming for a while, I didn't know what I was really doing and struggled to make a program I didn't understand do what I wanted it to do.

[/quote]

While I do not have a simple Megaman game, here's a sample list of the individual components that might go in a Megaman game:

1) Setting up the render device
2) Loading resources
3) Basic game-loop
4) The game logic
5) The tilemap and the level
6) Basic physics
7) The player
8) The enemies
I don't copy pasta, what I do is I mess around with every single line of code, then I rewrite it so that it is better.

Do you think those things have links? gamedev.net doe not search for anything.
Please don't bump your threads after only a few hours; if you get no replies after a day AND it has fallen off the front page of the forum then you MIGHT consider bumping it but certainly not after a few hours gap.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement