• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

help with c++ raycasting

This topic is 5990 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

i would like to take a shot at making a raycasting engine (just for fun, possibly for experience in 3d), but i dont know where to begin. firstly, what would i use to create the window? for example, in games like wolfeinstein/doom, did idsoftware use straight win32 api to create a normal window? or is it something related to directx? also, i'm not sure how to go about drawing the rays/lines. what line functions are there, and what should i use? i'm kinda lost at how to go about this, what type of window would i be using/creating, and what would i use to be drawing all my stuff to the window. any help? Edited by - Stashi on September 24, 2001 2:51:14 PM

Advertisement
Well, I''m no raycasting guru, but if you''re talking about the original wolfenstein/doom games, they were made in DOS and not Win32...

---
No game will ever rule more than CBT!

First of all, Wolfenstein and Doom are DOS games. DIRECTX DIDN''T EXIST AND FEW GAMES RAN UNDER WINDOWS! Raycasting is not too hard, but if your new to programming... The techniques used in the game logic will actually be much more sophisticated than those used to create the window .

I''ve never written a raycasting engine. However, I think I can give you a general idea of what they are. Raycasting engines use very little if any 3d math. The maps are composed of cubes of the same size. ''Rays'' are ''sent'' from the players view until they come in contact with a wall. Then the screen image is drawn using the data collected by the ray caster.

As I said, this is a VERY general description. I suggest you slowdown and start with some simple games. Raycasting is not really that difficult, but it would be extremely difficult for a new programmer.

-Just my advice

No, I know the concept behind it and I understand 3D, I''m simply lost as to what to use to actually DRAW everything. I do not want to use Opengl (of course) or DirectX.

I wrote a bit of a RayCaster during this summer. Take a look at it. It is very basic, and I still have a lot of work to do on it.

www.skynet.ie/~worf/Game.zip

I would be hapy to answer any questions that you may have, (if I can )

Giant

• Advertisement