Sign in to follow this  
jbosch

Contract model to share an IP between 2 developers

Hi,

Another developer and I want to legally share a game IP. Somebody could tell me where can I find a contract model for that? I guess I'm not the first person in the world with this problem, so I guess it should already exist something like that :-)

thanks!

[quote name='Tom Sloper' timestamp='1318260795' post='4871094']
You'll need to have your lawyer write it. And his lawyer will need to check it carefully.
It would be very unwise to do this without lawyers (both of you need a lawyer, watching out for an individual's interest).
[/quote]

But a lawyer is expensive... thats the reason I was asking for a template.

Regards,

Jesús

If you do not have money for a lawyer, you probably don't have money for a lawsuit should this "template contract" be broken. Think carefully if you really need this kind of document -- what do you want to protect yourselves from? Is the project commercial and you fear the other side might make a higher profit from your work?

[quote name='Rattenhirn' timestamp='1318316123' post='4871358']
IANAL, but if you just want someone to do work on your IP, use a normal work contract that won't transfer any IP rights to the other party.

If you need something more complicated, get legal advice from a real lawyer...
[/quote]

thanks guys, I guess I'll have to go to the lawyer :-)

There are 2 ways to accomplish your goal: 1) set up a company where each partner owns 50% of the equity and transfer all the rights in the IP to the company or 2) register the IP as a joint work in the copyright office in your country (this is allowed in the US, but I don't know about Spain). You may want to put some restrictions on each partner's use of the IP and a buy-out clause in the event the partnership ends. Legal costs are part of running a business and a lawyer can help you plan the set-up of your company for long-term growth. Cutting corners in the short term can lead to unintended consequences in the long-term, especially if the 2 partners are not absolutely clear on their plans for the IP when they part ways. Good luck!

[quote name='kdog77' timestamp='1318447532' post='4871957']
There are 2 ways to accomplish your goal: 1) set up a company where each partner owns 50% of the equity and transfer all the rights in the IP to the company or 2) register the IP as a joint work in the copyright office in your country (this is allowed in the US, but I don't know about Spain). You may want to put some restrictions on each partner's use of the IP and a buy-out clause in the event the partnership ends. Legal costs are part of running a business and a lawyer can help you plan the set-up of your company for long-term growth. Cutting corners in the short term can lead to unintended consequences in the long-term, especially if the 2 partners are not absolutely clear on their plans for the IP when they part ways. Good luck!
[/quote]

sounds good, thanks :-)