Sign in to follow this  
Nova8808

Is using Unity cheating?

Is using Unity 'cheating' if you're trying to get into serious/professional game programming? While it is nice to see some impressive results in a very small amount of time, I have the feeling that I'm 'cheating' and not really learning to programming a game.

[quote name='Trighton' timestamp='1318275950' post='4871176']
Is using Unity 'cheating' if you're trying to get into serious/professional game programming? While it is nice to see some impressive results in a very small amount of time, I have the feeling that I'm 'cheating' and not really learning to programming a game.
[/quote]

The saying is "Make games, not engines".

Professional games use middleware. They use pre-built engines for physics, audio, graphics, networking, and more.

There are many professional games that use Unity (including some we have developed at our studio).

It is not cheating. It is being smart at leveraging the tools available to you.

If your goal is to spend the years required to develop a comprehensive game engine, then that is fine too.

Using Unity is definitly not "cheating". If you use it you will learn how to program a game pretty well. Of course not how to implement a graphics/physics engine, but that's way to advanced anyway and even most bigger studios won't develope there own solutions, but use premade ones.
I'm currently working in a company, on a commercial project, and we use Unity, too.
As frob said. If you want to program your own game engine, that's fine, but it will require a lot of time and dedication and advanced knowledge in many different aspects of programming.
Making a game with Unity may seem simple, but there are a lot of things left for you to implement as Unity is by no means perfect :)
So just do what seems fun to you and don't worry about "cheating".