Sign in to follow this  
Ukrzuel

Jumping back into the fray!

So I'm thinking, after all these years... why not get back into development, and not for profit, but for the fun of it! My only problem is that I really don't understand where the market is right now in terms of games. I'm use to C++ and some C# with XNA, but in all honesty, would web based game development suit me better if I'm looking to spread them across a wider audience?

I'm well aware of JAVA, Flash, Shockwave, but now they have Silver Light, I believe it's called... Is going going JAVA the way to go? Or is there a new tool people are using now for development? I'm use to making engines, and level editors mainly in C++, so my experience is widely in making tools to make the games.

Now I'm just wanting to make games for fun, just lost on whats the best way to start again? I know friends think I should just get back into C++ with my code base at hand, but I've been also told the web for games is the future, not stand alone applications.

[quote name='Ukrzuel' timestamp='1318293993' post='4871280']
I really don't understand where the market is right now in terms of games.
[/quote]
Play some and get a feel for them.

[quote name='Ukrzuel' timestamp='1318293993' post='4871280']
but I've been also told the web for games is the future, not stand alone applications.
[/quote]
I think you need to ask yourself another question: What sort of game will you [i]finish[/i]? For where your passion and expertise is, there may also lie your best chance at getting something out there. If you have to spend months learning new tools, might not the fire burn out? C++ is far from dead, and non-web indie games are still reaching big audiences.

Web games are big, to be sure, but they're far from "the future" as you put it. Think about your classic traditional massive AAA type titles; those aren't declining in popularity, and they sure as heck aren't going to run in your browser any time soon, so there's still market for standalone games a'plenty.

There's also the mobile space to think about.

Bottom line, though, is simple: work on what interests you. As you said yourself, you're doing this for fun, so why do something less interesting when you have complete freedom to do what you like? I say, if you want to make web games, go for it; otherwise, stick to other mediums. No harm in that.