Sign in to follow this  
TheLifelessOne

Looking For Engine Examples

I've had a look at Orge, but it was my understanding that it only handles the rending if the graphics, and is not a full engine itself.

I'm mostly looking for examples of source file structures, techniques on various aspects of a game (window / state management, networking, etc), and example rendering code using pure OpenGL 2.1 shaders (no SDL, SFML, Orge, etc).

There are a number of games whose source has been released - why not peek in there and look at the commonalities between the different game sources? This may be worth considering too as the games are 'complete' whereas an engine may not implement everything you're interested in.

As for engines, have you seen [url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_game_engines"]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_game_engines[/url]?

[quote name='latent' timestamp='1318317477' post='4871363']
There are a number of games whose source has been released - why not peek in there and look at the commonalities between the different game sources? This may be worth considering too as the games are 'complete' whereas an engine may not implement everything you're interested in.
[/quote]

I would seriously advise against this, source code from already released games is a horrible base to learn from since there might be quite a few hacks and game-specific implementations in there (code quality pretty much goes down the drain when a deadline nears)

@TheLifelessOne:

Looking at code might not be the best way to learn about engines, since implementations can vary enormously based on the engine design, its target games, etc.
I think it might be a better idea to try to draw out an engine design by yourself even if you're unsure about certain parts, experiment with some implementations and do some research by looking at design documents and papers instead of code to validate and/or enhance your design

In the end, the best way to learn about engines and to learn how to write one is to just write games, you will automatically see the common requirements for your games after a while, which you can then write into an engine tailored to your needs

There also exist some great books on the subject. A couple noteworthy ones that I have found are:
- [i]Game Engine Design and Implementation[/i] by: Alan Thron
- [i]3D Game Engine Architecture[/i] by: [color=#1C2837][size=2]David H. Eberl[/size][/color]

[quote name='latent' timestamp='1318317477' post='4871363']
As for engines, have you seen [url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_game_engines"]http://en.wikipedia....of_game_engines[/url]?
[/quote]

Nope, but I'll take a look at that. Thanks.

[quote name='Radikalizm' timestamp='1318319852' post='4871370']
Looking at code might not be the best way to learn about engines, since implementations can vary enormously based on the engine design, its target games, etc.
I think it might be a better idea to try to draw out an engine design by yourself even if you're unsure about certain parts, experiment with some implementations and do some research by looking at design documents and papers instead of code to validate and/or enhance your design
[/quote]

I suppose that's true.

[quote name='jonbonazza' timestamp='1318355067' post='4871511']
There also exist some great books on the subject. A couple noteworthy ones that I have found are:
- [i]3D Game Engine Architecture[/i] by: [color="#1C2837"][size="2"]David H. Eberl[/size][/color]
[/quote]

I'll have to see about buying one of those. Which one would you recommend purchasing first?

[quote name='jonbonazza' timestamp='1318355067' post='4871511']
- [i]3D Game Engine Architecture[/i] by: [color="#1C2837"][size="2"]David H. Eberl[/size][/color]
[/quote]

[quote]
I'll have to see about buying one of those. Which one would you recommend purchasing first?
[/quote]

I have Eberly's other book: [i]3D Game Engine Design[/i]. I like it a lot as it explains concepts (not specific code), algorithms, and it uses heavy mathematics. I wouldn't recommend it if you don't enjoy post-calculus I & II math like linear algebra, vector analysis, and numerical methods. Also, both of Eberly's books deal with graphics engines and rendering so if you're hoping for a book that explains the AI, sound, etc... it won't be of much use to you.

[quote name='Radikalizm' timestamp='1318319852' post='4871370']
....source code from already released games is a horrible base to learn from since there might be quite a few hacks and game-specific implementations in there (code quality pretty much goes down the drain when a deadline nears)[/quote]

Also worth considering that game engine code is also horribly outdated within maybe a year of the game being released, as a lot of the hacks and nastiness that may have been required to get it running well (or even running at all) become unnecessary as newer and more powerful CPUs/GPUs come out.