Will this new rpg work?

Started by
44 comments, last by Bigdeadbug 12 years, 5 months ago
I have developed a way that will make the frustrated ones cool down a little when playing RPG games.

This game is focused on having high stats and high magic in the first place. Meaning that there is no level up so players can easily defeat baddies. Also instead of learning magic gradually, the player can learn any sort of magic by reading any three magic books in the school library. But as the game progresses the player's health and magic decreases because of the story part of it. This way it becomes challenging because the lower the hp and magic as well as the stats will slightly be lowered to increase the difficulty.

In case you want to know the title of my project its called Enchanted Love. In the story all characters have feelings that they keep it as a secret which makes the story emotional.

The reason is that I feel the combat system is too cliche even for pokemon. And leveling up can be too frustrating and boring. So I want to avoid this so that players don't get frustrated and can involve more on solving puzzles and using any magic they want to face tougher monsters and bosses.

So how is it?
Advertisement
Instead of leveling up, you delevel the cahracter. That doesn't sound rewarding at all. I don't feel compelled to advance a story that makes my character weaker, unless it is REALLY well written and justifies this odd decay in power in a way I can stomach

RPGs are so successful mainly due to the obviously visible character progression. You kill monsters, you level up, you are stronger -- the best way to show progress. In everyday life, you advance as well -- not in levels per se, but still you have visible progress. I guess you wouldn't appreciate starting your life as Bill Gates and then gradually "advancing" towards hobo status, huh?

Then again, it is all about story. A good one can make the player turn a blind eye to many flaws, such as taking away the most cherished and geared up character (jRPGs tend to do that on a fairly regular basis), taking stuff away (some action/FPS/RPG games do that) or having an erratic difficulty curve (thank you The Last Remnant, I have less hair now!).
Disclaimer: Each my post is intended as an attempt of helping and/or brining some meaningfull insight to the topic at hand. Due to my nature, my good intentions will not always be plainly visible. I apologise in advance and assure I mean no harm and do not intend to insult anyone, unless stated otherwise

Homepage (Under Construction)

Check my profile for funny D&D/WH FRP quotes :)
And leveling up can be too frustrating and boring.
? Leveling up frustrating? I think 99.999% of players would disagree with you...
Maybe the process which leads to level up is frustrating, but the very level up moment is a joyful one.

Stellar Monarch (4X, turn based, released): GDN forum topic - Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

[color=#1C2837][size=2]? Leveling up frustrating? I think 99.999% of players would disagree with you...
Maybe the process which leads to level up is frustrating, but the very level up moment is a joyful one.
[color=#1C2837][size=2]

[color="#1c2837"]yes its joyful but just think. Would you waste your time leveling up to 95 to beat a very hard boss? Heck no you'd rather equip yourself which needs a lot of money.
So what do you think about the concept? Even if it isn't great, its still something new unless the idea is already made up.
I think that your idea has some merit - I'm not familiar with any games where the difficulty comes from a gradual deterioration of your character's strength. I think that is at least worth exploring and could certainly be interesting from a story point of view. There is plenty of room for a game which does things differently, especially if your main aim isn't the greatest commercial success.

True, you are inverting what is seen as a core element of RPGs, but this could just require pitching the genre of the game differently. It is not uncommon for the player to have control of a powerful character during a game's introduction and soon part ways, only to be reunited with them later on (FFX is one example). Usually this is intended to make the game's opening easier for the player or to give them a taste of the abilities and strength they will develop throughout the game, but it does at least set some precedent for the player losing power.

[color="#1c2837"]yes its joyful but just think. Would you waste your time leveling up to 95 to beat a very hard boss? Heck no you'd rather equip yourself which needs a lot of money.
So what do you think about the concept? Even if it isn't great, its still something new unless the idea is already made up.

I sat my ass of on FFX, gathering equipment and leveling up just for the sake of it. Because there were always stronger monsters to beat, or simply because I felt I'd like to check out that skill at the end of the tree.

By taking away skills, power and whatnot, you don't give the player anything to look up to, except the obviously more dangerous enemies. Again, the story would need to blend with this concept REALLY WELL in order for a gamer, like me, not to feel hurt by progressing.

Indeed, this is a new concept that I haven't seen before (save for the uninteractive media of TV, but that is a totally different exerience).

If you feel it is a good idea, try it. I'm just not sure -- a sword is meant to be held by its handle. Holding it by the blade is a new idea, but not exactly a smart or practical one.
Disclaimer: Each my post is intended as an attempt of helping and/or brining some meaningfull insight to the topic at hand. Due to my nature, my good intentions will not always be plainly visible. I apologise in advance and assure I mean no harm and do not intend to insult anyone, unless stated otherwise

Homepage (Under Construction)

Check my profile for funny D&D/WH FRP quotes :)
As a long-time RPG fan, I am offended on the deepest levels by this idea. If you sold this game to me as an RPG, I would only play it for just exactly as long as it took me to figure out what kind of bastard trick you were playing on me. After that I would dust-bin it, and make a note of the developer so that I wouldn't accidentally buy one of their games again.
Ok since you're concerned about the story part. I'll explain it briefly.

Once upon a time, there is a professor named Harvey Socar who raised 100 adopted children to prove to his love that he is worthy of being her husband. One day a man delivered a girl baby to him with a letter from his love to take care of her until her arrival. So as the days passed he named her lily Socar. One day when everyone went out on a picnic, they noticed an unusual house, and despite Harvey's warning, they all went inside except Lily who was on Harvey's side. Suddenly the house disappeared with all the 100 children inside the house leaving Harvey with tears while lily comforts him. After several attempts to find out how to rescue them, he lost faith and made a promise to lily that he will never lose her.

Notice that this part is just a flashback in the deeper part of the story. Now I will say the current part of it.

Harvey decides to leave lily to the boarding wizard school in order to ensure for her safety. As he leaves and gets astonished that the evil wizard serpent wrecks havoc in the school, he decides to be a teacher in the school to take care of lily. He soon learns that the school has a hidden key known as the moon key which he is determined to get it but why and what does he want with it?

As the game progresses some of the children harvey lost are found being aged. The ship armored Titan, the brave soldier Jimmy, the fun man Jack Jump and the treasure hunter John Ratzgander.

I've still yet to develop, so if anyone is interested in helping me with the story, feel free.

So what do you think?

Even if it isn't great, its still something new unless the idea is already made up.
There are several problems with this statement. First, as a player, I want to play great games. I don't care if it has new ideas, I only care about myself. Do I have fun playing it or not. That's all it matters. Also, "new" is relative. For example to me it is "yet another reversed progress idea", I have read about it dozens of times with a boring regularity. So, no, it is not new or unique (in absolute sense). But should you worry about me? Not really, I'm far from being a typical player, they will find it new for sure. The same applies to you, what you perceive as old and overused is not such for a typical player. You are a designer, your playerish spirit has been already affected by abundance of games you played :) It is a bad idea to rely on what is new to you.

In the end the old "if you think you invented something new it means you have not done enough reserach" seems painfully accurate :)
(not that it should affect how we design games)

Stellar Monarch (4X, turn based, released): GDN forum topic - Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

[quote name='Cap'n VG' timestamp='1318419364' post='4871799']
Even if it isn't great, its still something new unless the idea is already made up.
There are several problems with this statement. First, as a player, I want to play great games. I don't care if it has new ideas, I only care about myself. Do I have fun playing it or not. That's all it matters. Also, "new" is relative. For example to me it is "yet another reversed progress idea", I have read about it dozens of times with a boring regularity. So, no, it is not new or unique (in absolute sense). But should you worry about me? Not really, I'm far from being a typical player, they will find it new for sure. The same applies to you, what you perceive as old and overused is not such for a typical player. You are a designer, your playerish spirit has been already affected by abundance of games you played :) It is a bad idea to rely on what is new to you.

In the end the old "if you think you invented something new it means you have not done enough reserach" seems painfully accurate :)
(not that it should affect how we design games)
[/quote]

you have a point there seeing that Braid is similar to Blinx the time sweeper.

So how is the story part so far?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement