Where to start

Started by
13 comments, last by ilnar 12 years, 6 months ago
I know quite a bit of c++, but i dont know where to start my journey. I am making a game that a friend said would be nice to play. It is a pokemon game, but i dont know what library to use.
Advertisement
use windows.h gl.h glu.h glaux.h
Get the GL programming guide (aka Red book), OpenGL super bible, visit some tutorial such as NeHe although they are extremely outdated.
glaux.h is quite old as well. Use DevIL to load your bitmaps.
Sig: http://glhlib.sourceforge.net
an open source GLU replacement library. Much more modern than GLU.
float matrix[16], inverse_matrix[16];
glhLoadIdentityf2(matrix);
glhTranslatef2(matrix, 0.0, 0.0, 5.0);
glhRotateAboutXf2(matrix, angleInRadians);
glhScalef2(matrix, 1.0, 1.0, -1.0);
glhQuickInvertMatrixf2(matrix, inverse_matrix);
glUniformMatrix4fv(uniformLocation1, 1, FALSE, matrix);
glUniformMatrix4fv(uniformLocation2, 1, FALSE, inverse_matrix);
Step 1) Decide not to learn C++
Step 2) Decide to learn programming through any language of comfort (prime candidates include, but are not limited to: Python, C#, Java et al)
Step 3) Learn a 2D library or two. There is PyGame for Python and XNA for C#.
Step 4) Learn basic game programming by making simple games like Pong, Tetris etc. (note: original designs are OK as long as they are deadbeat simple)
Step 5) Make pokemon game clone mentioned above

You could also skip step 4, but that will increase the time spent on step 5. Whatever you do, make sure you're having fun with it! :)
Also, if you absolutely insist on using C++ for this then the answer to your question (which btw, is not the above) is SDL. That has everything needed for a pokemon clone -- no need to get into D3D/OGL for this. You did leave out many pieces of vital information; such as 2D or 3D and what exactly you are aiming for more exactly -- thus I have assumed you are attempting to make a clone/simile to the pokemon franchise's early games (Red, Blue, Gold etc) and not a full-fledged AAA+ 3D game or anything such.
"I will personally burn everything I've made to the fucking ground if I think I can catch them in the flames."
~ Gabe
"I don't mean to rush you but you are keeping two civilizations waiting!"
~ Cavil, BSG.
"If it's really important to you that other people follow your True Brace Style, it just indicates you're inexperienced. Go find something productive to do."
[size=2]~ Bregma

"Well, you're not alone.

There's a club for people like that. It's called Everybody and we meet at the bar[size=2].

"

[size=2]~

[size=1]Antheus

What do you mean by "Decide not to learn C++".
In his post he says he has learned C++ ("I know quite a bit of c++").
He wants to put his knowledge to work.

Making a basic game with it is certainly possible. Make a few basic ones like pong and tetris and pac-man and then move onto bigger things.
Sig: http://glhlib.sourceforge.net
an open source GLU replacement library. Much more modern than GLU.
float matrix[16], inverse_matrix[16];
glhLoadIdentityf2(matrix);
glhTranslatef2(matrix, 0.0, 0.0, 5.0);
glhRotateAboutXf2(matrix, angleInRadians);
glhScalef2(matrix, 1.0, 1.0, -1.0);
glhQuickInvertMatrixf2(matrix, inverse_matrix);
glUniformMatrix4fv(uniformLocation1, 1, FALSE, matrix);
glUniformMatrix4fv(uniformLocation2, 1, FALSE, inverse_matrix);

[quote name='DarklyDreaming' timestamp='1318425988' post='4871823']

What do you mean by "Decide not to learn C++".
In his post he says he has learned C++ ("I know quite a bit of c++").
[...]
[/quote]

Well, that's all fine and dandy... except for the fact that unless he's worked with it for quite some time, he knows absolutely squat about programming in C++. But hey, if he wants to go for it I say hell yes -- just making sure he understands that it's not needed for what he wants to do nor will it help in any way to speed up his goal; I also strongly suspect (this is inferred) that he knows 'quite a bit' (read: 'I read some tutorial(s) on teh interwebz') and that he would achieve faster results in a more suitable language.

But all that is besides the point; I already gave him advice if he wants to go with C++ -- unless he has spent a couple of years in it finding out just what kind of beast it is, I'd'nt recommend it for learning programming (again, I assume he's not experienced - if he was, no need to ask this type of question) but it's his choice I guess.
"I will personally burn everything I've made to the fucking ground if I think I can catch them in the flames."
~ Gabe
"I don't mean to rush you but you are keeping two civilizations waiting!"
~ Cavil, BSG.
"If it's really important to you that other people follow your True Brace Style, it just indicates you're inexperienced. Go find something productive to do."
[size=2]~ Bregma

"Well, you're not alone.

There's a club for people like that. It's called Everybody and we meet at the bar[size=2].

"

[size=2]~

[size=1]Antheus
<br />[quote name='V-man' timestamp='1318508016' post='4872183']<br />[quote name='DarklyDreaming' timestamp='1318425988' post='4871823']<br />Step 1) Decide not to learn C++<br /><br />........<br />
<br /><br />What do you mean by &quot;Decide not to learn C++&quot;.<br />In his post he says he has learned C++ (&quot;I know quite a bit of c++&quot;).<br />[...]<br />[/quote]<br /><br />Well, that's all fine and dandy... except for the fact that unless he's worked with it for quite some time, he knows absolutely <i>squat </i>about programming in C++. But hey, if he wants to go for it I say hell yes -- just making sure he understands that it's not needed for what he wants to do nor will it help in any way to speed up his goal; I also strongly suspect (this is inferred) that he knows 'quite a bit' (read: 'I read some tutorial(s) on teh interwebz') and that he would achieve faster results in a more suitable language.<br /><br />But all that is besides the point; I already gave him advice if he wants to go with C++ -- unless he has spent a couple of years in it finding out just what kind of beast it is, I'd'nt recommend it for learning programming (again, I assume he's not experienced - if he was, no need to ask this type of question) but it's his choice I guess.<br />[/quote]
I don't know where the OP is from but if it's the UK, typical British understatement means that "know quite a bit about" actually means "know lots about".

They've asked the the question in the OpenGL forum not the General Programming, Game Programming or even the For Beginners forums so I assume they are an beginner at OpenGL, not programming in general.

@jblevins1991: V-man mentioned some resources but they frequently cover old style OpenGL programming. You can find course notes from a recent conference presentation on an Introduction to Modern OpenGL Programming which will help you avoid learning the old deprecated OpenGL features.
Telling someone not to learn something because it is too hard is stupid. Nobody goes from nothing to pro in anything in the world in a day.

NBA2K, Madden, Maneater, Killing Floor, Sims http://www.pawlowskipinball.com/pinballeternal

For all of you who derailed my question into a C++ sucks thread, the games where made in C/C++, not only that but C++ is more to what i want...not C# because C++ has lower level control over hardware (why do you think its used to make drivers guys). Everybody who told me to learn a new language is useless because that does not answer my question.

I know enought to start learning OpenGL, i have the OpenGL Super Bible (the blue book) and have the SDL library. The issue is that the SDL documentation doesn't adhere to game graphics, just video.

I need some from the beginning tutorials on how to initialize the graphics for a map, where the map should be stored in a VC++ project.. the template and code of an example map using opengl...stuff like that.

Oh and i will admit i did leave some information out, i am making a Fire Red update with new maps and graphics.
Wait a week n buy my dvd :)

For now, its hard because all information on anything related to making games is so scattered. try nehe.gamedev.net. Of course the best thing you can do is make your game 2d and program all the logic and attacks, then go and replace your 2d placeholder images with 3d models/animations etc. It's a good way to separate the work.

NBA2K, Madden, Maneater, Killing Floor, Sims http://www.pawlowskipinball.com/pinballeternal

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement