• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mman

What is the differecne between Borland C++ and Visual C++?

This topic is 6257 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, can anyone tell me what is the differece between those two, and which one I should get and start learning. Thanks a lot.

Advertisement
The difference is the fact that MSCV++ is better but expensive, and Borland C++ Builder ( or whatever ) is not as good and free.

"I''ve sparred with creatures from the nine hells themselves... I barely plan on breaking a sweat here, today."~Drizzt Do''Urden

quote:
Original post by Drizzt DoUrden
The difference is the fact that MSCV++ is better but expensive, and Borland C++ Builder ( or whatever ) is not as good and free.

That''s a matter of opinion. I''ve used both but have chosen to stick with Borland and I''ve had no problems using it with DirectX/OpenGL at all. If you can get it cheaper then why not? Especially when starting out.

The main difference is in the GUI. Both offer pretty much the same features except the way they are presented is a little different.

-------
Andrew

I must correct my predecessor: Borland''s Builder isn''t free!
Their Borland 5.5 Free Command Line Tools (the nude compiler, w/o ide) are freely available from borland''s site.

...it is not easy to say which one is better. It depends on what you want to do. There were a few of those what''s better-threads around in this forum, try looking in some of the recent threads/active topics, you may find an answer there.

It is true that MSVC++''s ide is quite nice and that this compiler is mostly used by members of this forum/site (judging by the posts)

(BTW: I am using VC++ most of the time but I had to start learning and working with this compiler (like many other programmers))

baumep

I made a pack with a devil that "I will always buy compiler from the os maker" See if you can get the $50 rebate on msvc++ 6 standard ed. If yes the cost to you minus rebate would be ~$40. For learning C try LCCWin32 I think, or bloodshed dev c++ compiler as both are pretty complete(have ide, debuggers, resource editors I think, etc.) If you''re in for the long haul I would just spent the money and get Msvc++ 7 std/pro when it comes out. This is applicable when going 3D and using DirectX gfx api. Although I hear borland compilers can be used with directX api but don''t know how long borland will hang in there in the c++ compiler market. If you get borland then I think you''ll need to download updated windows api sdk plus you don''t get the msdn library on cd which is always nice to have for those "pulling hair at 3 o''clock in the morning days"

P.S. I''m not sure I like those multiple disjoined windows of borland''s ide, reminds me of Sun''s Java ide. I prefer all windows inside on frame window like in msvc ide.

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!