Sign in to follow this  
shdpl

What to do with improper faces (back-face culling)

Even if i'm new in game development it's obvious for me to use backface culling whenever possible (or am i wrong?).

I got my models repository, consisting of free models around the net. Surprisingly, most of them (even if they were designed for games) got their faces in every possible direction.

I tried to fix it by hand, but it's painful for me. What are you guys doing in situations like this? Do you have any automated tools to flip faces in proper direction, or are you using your modeller of choice to do it automatically, or maybe you are doing it by hand? Any advices?

Ps.
Excuse me if topic already arised, but forum 'search' function doesn't currently work properly on my chromium.

[quote name='shdpl' timestamp='1318437518' post='4871903']
Even if i'm new in game development it's obvious for me to use backface culling whenever possible (or am i wrong?).

I got my models repository, consisting of free models around the net. Surprisingly, most of them (even if they were designed for games) got their faces in every possible direction.

I tried to fix it by hand, but it's painful for me. What are you guys doing in situations like this? Do you have any automated tools to flip faces in proper direction, or are you using your modeller of choice to do it automatically, or maybe you are doing it by hand? Any advices?

Ps.
Excuse me if topic already arised, but forum 'search' function doesn't currently work properly on my chromium.
[/quote]

Yeah most tools will fix normals for you. In Blender for example, load your mesh, go to EDIT mode, select all vertices ( A ), then press CTRL + N.