• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
xynapse

OpenGL Calculating Z value for Unprojection

This topic is 2624 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

This is related to my active topic regarding building an RTS engine, but i have gone into a small query that i need to ask.

Generally speaking, when there was a need to project screen space coords to world space coords, we were forced to do this by utilising

glReadPixel - after the rendering part was done

glUnproject - with the Z value from glReadPixel

I have my own glUnproject method that is utilising the matrices instead of calling OpenGL - it works great, but as usual i need to pass a Z (depth) value i am currently picking .

I have a perspective projection, my terrain can be rotated and is visible from above but not constantly, it can be zoomed to but you never see the horizon ( see the vid below )

[media]
[/media]

It is time to implement terrain mesh editing stuff into the engine and here comes the trouble - is there any way i can calculate that Z value without calling glReadPixel ?
I mean are we stuck with it or there is something else i can do to calculate it without reading from depth buffer?

Having 'constant' Z value passed to my unproject method isn't a good idea, especially that it isn't that precise as you can see below:

[media]
[/media]

Any other approach or i should go with glReadPixel and there's nothing i can do - which means, everybody uses this method.

As my scene is not yet fully detailed it might sound reasonable to use glReadPixel - but i am afraid of the consequences later on when i'll use several FBOs / with or without depth buffers attached..

Any suggestions?

Advertisement
Pass two different Z values, 0 and 1 will give you a point on the near-plane and another at the far-plane. These two points form a line, and that line intersects your geometry somewhere. Calculate the intersection using normal ray/triangle intersection or some other method. Intersecting a line with a height-map is generally not too difficult.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!