• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Abcd_z

OpenGL OpenGL vs. DirectX

This topic is 6253 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Okay, now I don''t want to start a flame war and I don''t want to cause any trouble, but I''m thinking of programming games and I''m not sure which API to use. I''ll probably use Allegro for the 2D, I have VC++ 6.0 Enterprise, and I''m going to try to learn Assembly language. I program on WinME, and I''m not sure which API to use. Advise please? If you would criticize another person, you must first walk a mile in their moccasins. That way, If they get mad, they''''ll be a mile away and barefoot.

Advertisement
Direct X is much better documented than OpenGL. There are SO many more books:

www.PrimaGameDev.com

Theres alot of Direct X books there.

I use OpenGL but I might switch over..

For openGL, there is:

nehe.gamedev.net

for online tutorials

and "OpenGL Game Programming" is a great book to learn with.

Direct X is only for Windows, so Linux, Mac, etc dont support it.

OpenGL can be changed to suit most platforms if not all, I believe.

Direct X inlcudes:

D3D
DInput
DSound
DPlay ( for multplayer, so I am told )

and OpenGL only is for making the graphics. To tell you the truth, Direct X seems like the better choice but you should learn both.

Since I don''t wanna start another flame war about Opengl vs. D3D I just want to mention that WinME will probably be your biggest concern. go with Win2K, WinNT 4.0 (like me), or even Linux, of course if you choose one of the last 2, you''ll have to go with OpenGL like me.... speed diffrence? none, at least not important for you...

cya,
Phil

Visit Rarebyte!
and no!, there are NO kangaroos in Austria (I got this questions a few times over in the states

Gee. Thanks for your, um, ambiguity. Hey guys? I take back what I said about no flame wars, if it will help me come to a decision. (Come to think of it, it probably won''t)

If you would criticize another person, you must first walk a mile in their moccasins. That way, If they get mad, they''''ll be a mile away and barefoot.

I''m not too familiar with OpenGL. I used it in school a little bit, but not enough to make a comment on it. I do recommend DirectX though. It includes code for sound, multiplayer, and input devices, so it is a good place to start. Once you understand the basics of how one part works(DirectDraw for example) its not too hard to learn one of the others(DirectPlay for example). While I''m sure there may be tons of arguments that there are better ways to do things such as networking, DirectX is a good encapsulation of them all, and at the very least a good place to start.

quote:
Original post by Abcd_z
If you would criticize another person, you must first walk a mile in their moccasins. That way, If they get mad, they''ll be a mile away and barefoot.

I love that. I dont know why, but I do.

Guest Anonymous Poster
OpenGL is only competing with Direct3D and not all of APIs in DirectX. Direct3D is certainly not better documented than OpenGL. If you go with OpenGL will you still need stuff like DirectSound. Another alternative is using allegro (allegrogl) with OpenGL.
Take a look at both but I think that OpenGL is little easier and much more fun to work with.

Wow...and Furby hasn''t paid a visit to this thread yet....highly rare..

WinME blows big time. Avoid XP like the plague. Stick to vanilla Win98 or Win2k, as I''ve found them to be the best all round development machines that don''t make you reboot TOO often..

NT used to be good until a reboot was required after each installation of software...UGH..plus it won''t run anything higher than DX3. Nice.

hmmmmm I need some GOOD flame bait here....just can''t think of anything right now, other than WinME sucks.

Wazoo

quote:
Original post by wazoo69
WinME blows big time.

Why? Am I missing out on something? I''ve got WinME, but I don''t see any problem with it. Is there something I should know that nobody is telling me?

~ There''s no substitute for failure ~

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!