Sign in to follow this  
jsvcycling

Single- or Dual-Thread?

So I built the Open Dynamics Engine (ODE) today, and I noticed that it had a bunch of different build types:
[list][*]ReleaseSingleDLL[*]ReleaseDoubleDLL[*]ReleaseSingleLib[*]ReleaseDoubleLib[/list]
I found out what the "Single" and "Double" mean (they mean Single- and Dual-Thread, respectively), but I don't know which one I should use in my game (or in general). Also, I don't know whether I should use a *.dll or *.lib.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Btw, my game will by for Windows platform.

[quote name='Josh Vega' timestamp='1318467054' post='4872058']I found out what the "Single" and "Double" mean (they mean Single- and Dual-Thread, respectively), but I don't know which one I should use in my game (or in general). Also, I don't know whether I should use a *.dll or *.lib.[/quote]Are you sure that's what they mean? I would've assumed that single meant that it used 32-bit floating point, and double meant that it used 64-bit floating point.

Generally games only use 32-bit floating point.

As for choosing between the static-library or dynamic-link-library, that simply depends on whether you want to compile ODE into your EXE file, or if you want to package it as a separate DLL alongside your EXE file.

BTW, why is your signature longer than your post?

[quote name='Krohm' timestamp='1318488349' post='4872110']
While we're at this... is ODE still going on? It was my understanding that it was sort of merged into bullet some time ago.
[/quote]

Well, I don't know if development for ODE is still happening, but it is currently the physics engine used in Dead Island. I've played the game and loved the physics, so I thought I give it a try.

[quote name='Hodgman' timestamp='1318468247' post='4872066']
[quote name='Josh Vega' timestamp='1318467054' post='4872058']I found out what the "Single" and "Double" mean (they mean Single- and Dual-Thread, respectively), but I don't know which one I should use in my game (or in general). Also, I don't know whether I should use a *.dll or *.lib.[/quote]Are you sure that's what they mean? I would've assumed that single meant that it used 32-bit floating point, and double meant that it used 64-bit floating point.

Generally games only use 32-bit floating point.

As for choosing between the static-library or dynamic-link-library, that simply depends on whether you want to compile ODE into your EXE file, or if you want to package it as a separate DLL alongside your EXE file.

BTW, why is your signature longer than your post?
[/quote]

Hmm... Alright I checked the ODE wiki and it seems that you are correct, the single & double do mean float & double (thanks for that!). I also checked this page http://goo.gl/aKcxT and found out the difference between using a float and double in games, so I'll be going with float then.

I'm also planning on providing ODE as an external reference, so I guess I'll be using a DLL.

Thanks for all the help!

Btw, one of the Admins changed my signature just before I was able to get to it...