Single- or Dual-Thread?

Started by
3 comments, last by jsvcycling 12 years, 6 months ago
So I built the Open Dynamics Engine (ODE) today, and I noticed that it had a bunch of different build types:
  • ReleaseSingleDLL
  • ReleaseDoubleDLL
  • ReleaseSingleLib
  • ReleaseDoubleLib

I found out what the "Single" and "Double" mean (they mean Single- and Dual-Thread, respectively), but I don't know which one I should use in my game (or in general). Also, I don't know whether I should use a *.dll or *.lib.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Btw, my game will by for Windows platform.
Some favourite quotes:Never trust a computer you can't throw out a window.
- Steve Wozniak

The best way to prepare [to be a programmer] is to write programs, and to study great programs that other people have written.
- Bill Gates

There's always one more bug.
- Lubarsky's Law of Cybernetic Entomology

Think? Why think! We have computers to do that for us.
- Jean Rostand

Treat your password like your toothbrush. Don't let anybody else use it, and get a new one every six months.
- Clifford Stoll

To err is human - and to blame it on a computer is even more so.
- Robert Orben

Computing is not about computers any more. It is about living.
- Nicholas Negroponte
Advertisement
I found out what the "Single" and "Double" mean (they mean Single- and Dual-Thread, respectively), but I don't know which one I should use in my game (or in general). Also, I don't know whether I should use a *.dll or *.lib.
Are you sure that's what they mean? I would've assumed that single meant that it used 32-bit floating point, and double meant that it used 64-bit floating point.

Generally games only use 32-bit floating point.

As for choosing between the static-library or dynamic-link-library, that simply depends on whether you want to compile ODE into your EXE file, or if you want to package it as a separate DLL alongside your EXE file.

BTW, why is your signature longer than your post?
While we're at this... is ODE still going on? It was my understanding that it was sort of merged into bullet some time ago.

Previously "Krohm"

While we're at this... is ODE still going on? It was my understanding that it was sort of merged into bullet some time ago.

Well, I don't know if development for ODE is still happening, but it is currently the physics engine used in Dead Island. I've played the game and loved the physics, so I thought I give it a try.
- Steve Wozniak

The best way to prepare [to be a programmer] is to write programs, and to study great programs that other people have written.
- Bill Gates

- Jean Rostand

Treat your password like your toothbrush. Don't let anybody else use it, and get a new one every six months.
- Clifford Stoll

- Robert Orben

- Nicholas Negroponte

[quote name='Josh Vega' timestamp='1318467054' post='4872058']I found out what the "Single" and "Double" mean (they mean Single- and Dual-Thread, respectively), but I don't know which one I should use in my game (or in general). Also, I don't know whether I should use a *.dll or *.lib.
Are you sure that's what they mean? I would've assumed that single meant that it used 32-bit floating point, and double meant that it used 64-bit floating point.

Generally games only use 32-bit floating point.

As for choosing between the static-library or dynamic-link-library, that simply depends on whether you want to compile ODE into your EXE file, or if you want to package it as a separate DLL alongside your EXE file.

BTW, why is your signature longer than your post?
[/quote]

Hmm... Alright I checked the ODE wiki and it seems that you are correct, the single & double do mean float & double (thanks for that!). I also checked this page http://goo.gl/aKcxT and found out the difference between using a float and double in games, so I'll be going with float then.

I'm also planning on providing ODE as an external reference, so I guess I'll be using a DLL.

Thanks for all the help!

Btw, one of the Admins changed my signature just before I was able to get to it...
- Steve Wozniak

- Bill Gates

- Jean Rostand

- Clifford Stoll

- Robert Orben

- Nicholas Negroponte

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement