• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
godmodder

Stencil blitting

This topic is 2617 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi,

I've implemented the stencil-routed K-buffer technique to peel multiple layers of depth in one pass. So far I had a 6x increase in performance. One thing I wanted to optimize was this: instead of clearing the FBO every frame and then initializing it with the right stencil masked writes (8 fullscreen passes), I could just do this once and blit the result to the current FBO every frame.

To my amazement, this:
glClearStencil(1); // initial value for samples in stencilbuffer is 1
glClear(GL_COLOR_BUFFER_BIT | GL_DEPTH_BUFFER_BIT | GL_STENCIL_BUFFER_BIT); // initialize the buffers
glDisable(GL_DEPTH_TEST); // no depth test => fragments on every depth layer affect buffers
glDepthMask(false); // no writes to the depth buffer
glColorMask(false, false, false, false); // no writes to the color buffer
glEnable(GL_STENCIL_TEST);
glStencilOp(GL_REPLACE, GL_REPLACE, GL_REPLACE); // keep replacing sample values until they all have different values
glEnable(GL_MULTISAMPLE);
glEnable(GL_SAMPLE_MASK); // enable rendering to specific samples
glSampleMaski(0, 0xffffffff); // we initially write to all samples

unsigned int sampleMask = 2; // we start with the second sample (first one filled by the clear)
for(unsigned int i = 0; i < 7; ++i) // TODO: dynamic 'numOfSamples-1'
{
glSampleMaski(0, sampleMask);
glStencilFunc(GL_ALWAYS, 2+i, 0xffffffff); // sample stencil value range in loop is [2, numOfSamples]
renderFullScreenTexture(0, false);
sampleMask <<= 1;
}

glSampleMaski(0, 0xffffffff);
glDisable(GL_SAMPLE_MASK);
glDisable(GL_MULTISAMPLE);
glColorMask(true, true, true, true);
glDepthMask(true);
glEnable(GL_DEPTH_TEST); // update the depth buffer

was almost twice as fast as this:
glBlitFramebuffer(0, 0, texWidth, texHeight,
0, 0, texWidth, texHeight,
GL_COLOR_BUFFER_BIT | GL_DEPTH_BUFFER_BIT | GL_STENCIL_BUFFER_BIT, GL_NEAREST);
glEnable(GL_STENCIL_TEST);

Why is the blitting so slow? I would have expected a performance increase, as I avoid 8 fullscreen passes with it.

Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!