• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

[DX10] Shadow maps : SetPixelShader(NULL) and Alpha test

This topic is 2319 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello

I'm getting information on cascaded shadow maps,
and I would like to set the pixel shader to NULL because I want to manipulate directly the z buffer as a shadow map.

Is there a way to enable alpha test with the pixel shader set to NULL ? (Actually, I make the alpha test with a 'discard' when textureColor.a=0 in a pixel shader)

Thanks in advance wink.gif

Advertisement
Thank you Erik smile.gif

That's what I thought, I'm afraid .... I just wanted to be sure.
So I will use another texture as the render target ..... and a pixel shader sad.gif

Thank you Erik smile.gif

So I will use another texture as the render target ..... and a pixel shader sad.gif

Hi,

you may still just write to z-buffer and disable color writes even if you use pixel shader.

For objects using alpha transparency I use a pixel shader to discard the transparent pixels and for fully opaque objects I disable pixel shader. No color buffer is needed, just the z-buffer.

Cheers!

[quote name='NicoLaCrevette' timestamp='1318578597' post='4872438']
Thank you Erik smile.gif

Hi,

you may still just write to z-buffer and disable color writes even if you use pixel shader.

For objects using alpha transparency I use a pixel shader to discard the transparent pixels and for fully opaque objects I disable pixel shader. No color buffer is needed, just the z-buffer.

Cheers!
[/quote]

It really helps me, thanks ! I think I will try to do the same rolleyes.gif

Hi,

glad to be helpful. Just to clarify : by [color="#1c2837"][size=2]disabling color writes I mean that you should set your render target to NULL.
[color="#1c2837"][size=2]

[color="#1c2837"][size=2]Cheers!

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement