Value of a master's degree?

Started by
26 comments, last by Tom Sloper 12 years, 4 months ago
I got a question.

Mt friend says that getting the master's degree is important in order to get promotion in the industry and that you can only get a job in a campus interview if you just get a degree. Is that true because if it is then there's no point in having this thread and it will almost be difficult to get a job at this rate.

The thing that I don't like about a master degree is that it acts more like a diploma and having already been on an institute and having been on college, I don't think a master's degree is best for me cause right now I'm thinking of working on small companies like Nicalis.
Advertisement
Cap, you have three choices:
- Believe everything your friend tells you.
- Believe nothing your friend tells you.
- Make up your own mind what to believe when your friend tells you something.

At the present time, you take your friend's words much too seriously. You need to accept that not everything your friend tells you is the gospel truth.

Read this.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

In my experience, holding a masters degree has zero value in regards to getting a promotion in the game industry.

Cap, you have three choices:
- Believe everything your friend tells you.
- Believe nothing your friend tells you.
- Make up your own mind what to believe when your friend tells you something.

At the present time, you take your friend's words much too seriously. You need to accept that not everything your friend tells you is the gospel truth.

Read this.

But you just said that a master's degree will move you forward. Have you done a master's degree? and Why?

But you just said that a master's degree will move you forward.

When did I say that? Give me a link, and quote my words where I said that.

I have frequently said that it can help your progression, just as any additional training can help your career. If you spend an extra two years studying graphics, or two years studying networks, or studying other topics related to game development, your additional knowledge in that field will be appearent. Other skills you can gain from a master's program may (but not necessarily) include being self-driven, leading peers, teaching and guiding others, technical writing, better communication abilities, and more.

A master's degree is NOT required in the industry. A BS in Computer Science is the normal barrier to get through HR in the United States, but it varies based on the needs of the company and the applicants in the pool.

The knowledge you gain (not the degree itself) can be leveraged in your daily work. It is the application of the knowledge that tends to help. The degree is a bargaining chip when it comes to the salary negotiating table and when transferring between companies. Combining the two, the knowledge and skills CAN help you move up the career ladder more quickly, and the degree itself CAN help you negotiate higher wages and make it easier to find a job.
[/quote][font="Georgia, Rekha, Palatino, serif"] [/font][font="Georgia, Rekha, Palatino, serif"]You should go because you want or need the extra education, because what you will learn there will move you forward in your pursuit of your particular passion.[/font][/quote]

[quote name='Cap'n VG' timestamp='1321686643' post='4885537']
But you just said that a master's degree will move you forward.

When did I say that? Give me a link, and quote my words where I said that.
[/quote]

You should go because you want or need the extra education, because what you will learn there will move you forward in your pursuit of your particular passion.[/font]

[/quote]
I said that what you learn while studying for the degree will move you forward in your pursuit of your particular passion. I did not say the degree would get you a job or a promotion.

Your friend is not correct when he says that getting the master's degree is important in order to get promotion in the industry and that you can only get a job in a campus interview if you just get a degree.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement